Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The AFH was only a 1.4, the 1.6 16v was an AJV and used ECU 036 906 014 R

I would avoid the 030 906 030 D as these are the ones that have a problem.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Once again thank you for comfirming all this (keeps me from making mistakes) ,i suposse sellers stated wrong model, i can also see now the 1.6 16V is AJV and uses a difrent ecu, people transplant the 1.4 afh head to the 1.6 and call it afh...

hopefully tomorrow in the afternoon the car will be scanned, will report back...

Cheers

0 0 0

3. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, had the car scanned today didnt notice what scan it was but one of those hand scanners...
    The guy spent about 5m on it ,i already had the car up to temp he showed me on the scann it said unit not found for the TBI... I only had to give him some beer tokens instead off being ripped off like on VW...
    Its this because these kind of scanners that dont recognise the TBI or will i have other kind of problem? like in the wiring?
    Or is it because i have the ECU with the dodgy reference? Apart from high idle do you know if this ecu's would cause spluttering and dont recognise the tbi?

Cheers

0 0 0

4. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need it scanning on a proper VAG specific system such as VCDS, VCP or ODIS. This chap would have been using an OBDII scanner and that car is not OBDII compatible.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello
    My vcds cable hex V2 arrived today.
    Tried to perform TBA on block 001 the TB does the sound but i get no message TBA done..?
    Also when i turned the engine on the erratict idle was much worst, and on acceleration it stills holds back like i cuts fuel ,im i doing this the right way?
    What number should i get on bin bits after TBA was done? i only get zeros

EDIT: Its possible to check fuel trim with vcds on this car?

Cheers

0 0 0

6. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You don't get much feedback from the basic settings on cars where you use block 001 but what you say suggests to me you may have the ignition timing wrong. When the engine is running, if you go into 001 the rev MUST lift up to 1400 at which point the timing can be checked. What value do you see in display zone 4 after the basic setting? The second, third and fifth digits from the right in the eight BIT block should show 0. Before the basic setting the display in zone 4 should be 00000000. Make sure you do not have the accelerator too tight, if you are unsure, take it off whilst doing the basic settings. To set it up it should just fully open the throttle with the pedal to the floor, if it is too tight the basic settings will not complete. When the engine is running and the ECU is in basic settings 001, the eight digit block in zone 4 must show 00000000 and the revs will rise to approx 1400.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    Today before i read this post i tried to do a TBA and also use group 10 then 00 read and save wich is supose to put values to factory but its still the same...
    Cheking for DTC'S before showed no faults.
    I know the with engine off the zone 4 shows 00000000 Before and after a TBA ,while doing it one of the zeros goes to 1 for a second...
    Have yet to try if e get the same with the engine running... (will try tommorow)
    I have no timing light to check the timing, is there a way of doing this manualy? Since the timing belt is in due ,once my finances allow (next month) intend to do the kit...
    I did what seems to be an auto scan not sure, selected the car model and GO and i tcame up with these codes: 00588-airbag resistance value 32-10 too high (sporadic)
    and also code: 00532-feed voltage 07-10 signal too low (sporadic)
    will any of these cause the problems i described.??

Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Adaptation 10, read, save yes should always be done 3 times, this clears the learnt values for the ECU memory that is had stored to deal with variations from the programing ideal.

Typical flat battery codes, clear and ignore

Without a timing light or inductive timing display unit, (there were VW units called a VAG 1767 or VAG 1367, these sometimes pop up on fleaBay) you are not going to be able to do the timing; it is time to try and borrow a timing light BUT the marks on the front pulley are very difficult to see, we use an inductive unit which plugs into the gearbox inspection hole and displays the value on the screen.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    Since you mentioned ignition timing, i tried a little experimente today rotated the distribuitor anti-clockwise since the revs droped a bit i recon i was retarding the timing...
    It can hold the idle at 1100rpm for a bit then goes up and dow as before tem back to 1100, driving it i get the same splutter and holding back as before.
    I know this is not proper but im trying toget to the bottom of this... You still think is Ignition timing related?
    Only when i get the belt kit i will see if the cams and crank marks are in line since them can also be off...
    By the way could you post a link or pic to what tools i will need to lock the cams puleys and crank i have not found nothing to this specific engine...
    Also looking for the inductive timing light i could only found online the ones with a plug for the spark leads but nothing like you said that would plug on the inspection hole? (sorry im new to this stuff)

PS: the trottle cable has enough slack
    Cheers

0 0 0

10. Re: 97 Polo 16v (AFH) ECU reference? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This is the tool you need 16v polo cam belt tool - Google Search

without knowing the ignition timing (NOT THE valve timing) is spot on you will get nowhere.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast