Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi Q7 3.0tdi CASA engine cold running issue FIXED!!!

1. Audi Q7 3.0tdi CASA engine cold running issue FIXED!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, newbie here and this is my first post without introducing. So, hardcore forumites go easy on me for poor forum etiquette. However I’ve joined this forum to be helped and also help others on their self fixing journey saving loads from the main ******** and learning along the way. I have added some pictures as attachments and I really hope they help. If they don’t work then I’m more than happy to send them another way.

So to the issue. Over the last few weeks the temperature had been fluctuating, at times erratically. I initially assumed that it would be the ECT sensor, however after getting temps read separate it confirmed the sensor was working in that regard. I then instantly assumed that the main thermostat was the issue. I purchased this from Audi. I checked the old one in a pot of boiling water and it seemed to be functioning fine. Same with the new one. However I replaced it anyhow as I’d purchased the part. Still the problem persisted. I was convinced that it was a thermostat related issue so I did some digging and sure enough there is another thermostat or coolant regulating valve as it’s called in the book attached to the EGR cooler. I phoned my local dealer and they struggled to find it but I managed to find a part number online which helped. However this has been superseded which hopefully you can see in the pictures by part number 059121113N. Also you will need a new O ring and retaining clip. All in cost just over £37.
    it is a pig of a job to get to. It’s behind the oil filter housing. You have a couple of options. Remove the oil filter housing which looked like a mission with obscured fuel lines in the way, or what I did, as I had removed the intake manifolds to de gunge them and crossover HP fuel lines (thanks to the links and guides on this forum) then removed the small egr pipe that attaches to the intake manifold. I was then able to lever the retaining clip out and then pull the hose towards me with the thermostat attached. On removing the thermostat it was quite clear that it had failed and the spring retainer inside had came away from its locating holes, so coolant was able to bypass at all times meaning the car would never get up to temperature. Replacing the O ring was a black art and have no way of helping you here. It is down to whatever tools and luck you have on your side. Same with the retaining clip when putting it back on! I got extremely lucky and managed to get it on first try with long needle nose pliers.

I have just seen it mentioned on a different Q7 thread but on reassembling, a very brittle plastic coolant return pipe and T piece shattered. The one that goes over the oil filter housing with a shroud over it. In my opinion a very poor design and I’m glad it broke last night and not mid journey. Albeit I had to wait until this morning to fix it. My fix was a length of 8mm internal diameter fuel hose and then I rang around loads of auto factors to purchase an 8mm T piece but every single one had to order it in over a couple of days. I got lucky and found that my local Calor gas sold 8mm brass T pieces so I used that and in my opinion a much better solution than the original.

After testing and no leaks and everything reassembled and checked then checked again I can report that the engine warms up within a couple of miles town driving and holds a temperature of just over 90 degrees no matter how fast I’m driving or how cold the temp outside is. Was also great to hear the radiator fans working again meaning the coolant is circulating correctly. Also as the EGR coolant circuit bypasses the engine coolant thermostat it was always hot which led me to the EGR thermostat. However now both hoses are warm at best meaning the thermostats and fans are doing their job. Hopefully fuel economy and performance will improve now. Next job is tackling a low fuel pressure (P0087) fault code.

thanks for reading and hopefully not too long winded. If it helps 1 person I’ll be happy
    Last edited by Dtsully88; 19-09-2018 at 11:07 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Q7 3.0tdi CASA engine cold running issue FIXED!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks - great first post. I have the older EU4+DPF ASB engine and have done these jobs, so interesting to see the difference.
    That coolant regulator is under the car on older ones, but that stupid T peice is the same and breaks when you lean on it.
    Your upper manifold is aluminium but mine black plastic.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0