1. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I have experienced pedal "bouncing" and bad vibration on braking with skimmed discs, even when they had been machined off the car. This was presumably due to the two faces not being parallel, caused either by wear in the machine used, or operator incompetence/error.

Accurate machining on the car would depend on the condition of the wheel bearings, which could not be guaranteed. I also wonder where the swarf ends up?

I remember machines for balancing wheels on the car, which seem to have disappeared, probably for the same reason.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

2. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I was told many years ago that on the car balancing machines would not work on driven wheels with cv joints as when the suspension was at full travel off the floor, the drive shaft angle caused vibrations.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    It doesn't matter whether the discs are M/Cd on or off the car or whether new discs are fitted any significant wheel brg run-out should be attended to 1st or there will be wheel braking "wobble". In my experience having the M/Cg done off the car is fraugtht with danger. Most machinists do not have a mandrel that replicates the wheel hub mounting and will attempt to M/C the discs on a 3 jaw lathe chuck and will not spend the time to get the disc running true or removing all the rust from the disc mounting surface
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

4. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Many years ago I was at the shop of a now retired engineers for some engine machining work and Arthur, the owner, showed me a pair of discs that a taxi driver had brought in to have skimmed, he said their original thickness was 12mm and the minimum was 10mm but when brought in for skimming they were at 4mm.... needless to say he told the chap to go and buy new ones.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Years ago I was at a friend's garage in Spain, when Keith, the owner, showed me a car which had been brought in for attention to the brakes, which were pulling badly to one side.

At the front, on one side the pads had almost disappeared into the disc, on the other side the pads had met, and the remaining outer ring of metal was hanging on the caliper.

He said he was having a problem convincing the owner to pay for new discs and pads.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

6. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi All,

I note when reading through this post that most of the Q2 vehicles mentioned are 2016 year vintage with between 16,000 > 22,000 miles. With the national average being 10,000 per year the stated mileage for these vehicles is lower.

Then the low mileage vehicle is used less than expected the rear discs do seem to suffer from surface rust (I have heard the same for several VAG group vehiles, Jaguar and Ladn Rover all with lower than average mileage) Higher/Average mileage vehicle do not appear to suffer from the same concern.

And the vehicle manufactures seem to follow the same recommendation'Rplace the pads and discs'

0 0 0

7. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    All cars with Hybrid or full electric drive are going to have to go back to drums as cast iron discs are too exposed and non ferrous discs far too expensive. As with a lot of electrification of transport, there are lessons to be learned along with a realignment of expectations.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Q2 Rear Brake Discs Rusting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I am sure expectations will be changing over the next few years!!

With car manufactures always looking to save money and maintain the good looks of the vehicle the best route is back to good old fashioned drums!!

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123