Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping?

1. A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi There

I just bought my 2008 B7 Cabriolet, and the roof worked during the test drive.

However having tried again on my own, the roof only opens a few inches then stops.

The dash also has the roof light flashing on startup (but it disappears).

The guy I bought it from said "fiddle around with the roof storage tray in the boot" - I have tried this but no avail - anybody have any clear instructions for what to check in the boot?

First ever Cabriolet so detailed guidance appreciated for a newbie!

Thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    do you have a code reader ?
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I recall the guy at work having a B6 Cab, and I doubt the design was that much different, but he had some kind of sensor in the boot, which if knocked prevented the roof folding, maybe this is somewhere to start if you don't have the ability to read the fault codes

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    one thing to also bear in mind is the electric motor which drives the hydraulic pump for the roof can fail - mine did the same thing as you - lots of threads and advice online and this is the guide i used and guy who repaired and modified the motor - so far so good a few years on.....

http://www.autoelectron.co.uk/files/...al%20guide.pdf

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JLBmatic View Post
    one thing to also bear in mind is the electric motor which drives the hydraulic pump for the roof can fail - mine did the same thing as you - lots of threads and advice online and this is the guide i used and guy who repaired and modified the motor - so far so good a few years on.....

http://www.autoelectron.co.uk/files/...al%20guide.pdf

I have also had this. Tried a few times to free up the motor brushes myself but the fix never lasted very long.

In the end sent my motor to Autoelectron above. Great service (sent my motor by post) and speedy repair done which has lasted a year now. MUCH cheaper than a new motor !

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys. I seem to have the same issue. roof just opens a couple of inches then stops. The dodgy car dealer i got the car from told me its due to my boot carriage lever not working. it has a loose wire coming out of it and supposedly this is a safety feature and thus will not allow the roof to open. is there any truth to this before I take the expensive option of taking it to a garage. I tried the manual open and close reset but this did not fix anything

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I assume the "boot carriage lever" is the same thing as the 'roof stowage compartment' (lever in the boot)

there is a small microswitch which tells the ECU whether the compartment is lowered or raised. Clearly it needs to be lowered for the roof to work (to make space in the boot for the roof to fold into)

You may need to remove (or part remove) the stowage compartment assembly to access the microswitch (or even to unplug the wires from it so you can bridge the connection and see if that makes the roof work.

If no difference occurs, i would highly suspect the roof motor brushes as detailed in posts above.

EDIT - just read your post again - regarding "it has a loose wire coming out of it " if this is the cable which physically raises or lowers the stowage box and the lever is floppy you'd need to remove the whole stowage box assembly anyway

I had the same issue (lever floppy) and pulled it apart and effected my own fix with lots of glue and bits. I think complete stowage box assemblies are available to buy new (expensive) or second hand (possibly with the same issue).

Or, you could just leave it broken (obviously in the low position and check the microswitch is closed (or bridged) so the circuit is complete.

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The classic characteristic feature of a failed pump motor is the roof jumping open and then nothing.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 B7 Cab - Roof only opening a few inches then stopping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same issue every spring after the roof has not been used for the winter, I just do a quick clean on the motor that drives the hydraulic. Because I do this every year, this year I made a video to show other people how, it’s a 20-30 min job:

Audi A4 Cabriolet - fix for roof not opening - YouTube

0 0 0