Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Im going travelling and will be leaving my Mk5 golf TDI in Cornwall outside for about a year.. it's a bit beaten and I'm still struggling to sort the clutch (air getting in when pedal is pumped but fluid not getting out even under pressure test &#128548 so I couldn't get enough if I sold it right now..

The car isn't worth a lot so I'm doing it on the cheap.. Basically I'm thinking of giving it a wash, wait until properly dry, then drive onto a large tarpaulin, wrap and tie the tarp so it is covering the bottom half of the car and then put a cover over it... Maybe even tape the cover down and also leave about 5 chemical moisture traps inside under the car.

Is this stupid? It's super salty where I live and I don't want to come back to a pile of rust.. I will also try to get someone to open it up to empty/change the moisture traps and run the engine/air it out every few months.

Will I just be trapping moisture inside and allowing it to condense on all metal surfaces?

Thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Preventing rust 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    IMHO sell the car now for whatever someone is willing to pay and buy yourself a drink or two in the sunshine - you'll come back to a car with a knackered clutch, expired MOT (SORN'ed), seized brake calipers, flat tyres, dead battery, mildewed seats, family of mice under the bonnet ......

0 0 0

3. Re: Preventing rust 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    You don't think my plan will work at all then?

0 0 0

4. Re: Preventing rust 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    No- your tarpaulin garage will be a moisture / condensation trap, come loose and flap like mad in the wind, become a pain in the neck for the poor soul who you rope in to unwrap it and attempt to start it up every few months, and you'll come back off your travels skint, with a virtual scrapper to deal with. Get rid now and blow the cash. If you really want to cover and leave the car, get something that will fit properly, or sort the clutch and get someone to continue using and looking after the car, rather than letting it seize up.
    eg. VW GOLF MK5 CAR COVER 2004 ONWARDS - Cars Covers
    Reminds me of my younger days of keeping hold of stuff cos 'it might come in handy' or cos it 'seemed too good to get rid of'.
    Offload your baggage in every sense and travel light. I'm due another purge of 'useful' crap as well, sorry if I come across a bit rude, just been there in a sense, and had that T shirt.
    enjoy your trip !!!!

0 0 0

5. Re: Preventing rust 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha thanks, when trying to hold onto something one needs brutal honesty.
    Much appreciated

0 0 0