Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Advice please for a potential new owner.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I’m currently trawling through old posts to gather as much information as possible and to make sure I know what to look for. I’d like some advice though please.

I’ve left a deposit on a MY15 A6 Black Edition in Glacier White at Leeds Audi, I would have liked one with tech pack but had to compromise, it does have the folding mirrors and heated seats I wanted though.
    It’s currently on 56k miles which is a little higher than I would have liked but like the idea of it being from an Approved dealer and hope it has been serviced inline with Audi’s schedule. I need to check tomorrow to make sure the oil has been replaced in the Stronic, I hope it would have been serviced correctly being an approved Audi?
    My main concerns is reliability, I will be using the car mainly for travelling 140 miles a day to/from work (I take car allowance as oppose to company car and I get paid for fuel, the car will sit at 70mph on a pretty uninterrupted journey. I intend to have servicing work carried out by Audi as the fixed price servicing seems ok. (Hoping they keep the free MOT offer on for cambelt replacement when it will be due next year)

I plan to put a lot of miles on the car and it’s replacing a 14 Insignia 2.0 CDTI, which the engine has just seized on after 130k miles, seems way too low for me for a car sitting at 70mph most days and could do with the Audi lasting potentially up to 200k (hoping to keep it as low as possible by using my wives car for work occasionally). Am I being unrealistic and am I going to end up with problems with the gearbox or anything else?

I will also use the car to tow my caravan occasionally, any issues in that respect?

Finally, I managed to get 60mpg plus when travelling on the motorway in the Insignia, I don’t expect the same from the Audi but realistically what should I expect?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the above or in general.

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    What engine and gearbox is it?

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    2.0tdi Ultra Stronic

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    I had a few issues with a new one but once fixed it worked well and comfortably got 55mpg+. Got rid of it after 30k so not sure how reliable it is so maybe other can chime in on that.
    In the stronic make sure its serviced every 38k as it can be expensive to fix.
    The other thing to take account of is the amount of adblue you will be going through. £10-15 every 7-8k.

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I’m worried now that the S Tronic oil won’t have been changed and I’ll have to walk away as it’s a lovely car. I’ll ask the dealer this morning. If I get the vin am I right in thinking I can check history myself on ‘myaudi’?
    I’m aware of the Adblue so that won’t be a surprise.

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi chances are that its a Audi leased car so will have been serviced correctly, they will have access to all the work done on it including recalls etc, ask for a print of ALL recorded work. On a run I get 50-60 mpg dependent on speed and traffic better in all respect than any old Vauxhall... Good luck
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0

7. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Durham4416 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I’m worried now that the S Tronic oil won’t have been changed and I’ll have to walk away as it’s a lovely car. I’ll ask the dealer this morning. If I get the vin am I right in thinking I can check history myself on ‘myaudi’?
    I’m aware of the Adblue so that won’t be a surprise.
    I'm not sure you'll be able to check the records yourself as as an owner we can't currently check our own service records online. I have been advised that the online service records service will be out of action for at least another 8 weeks.

I have an s-tronic ultra on 81k miles, owned since new and almost 4 years old. I have had no issues with the engine or gearbox (and have had 2 s-tronic oil changes now). The cam belt service interval is 140k miles or 5 years whichever is the sooner. I have triple checked this figure as 140k miles seems high, and my local Independent garage didn't believe me, but Audi have confirmed this it is correct. I believe that the offer of free MOTs for life still exists for a cam belt change.

I am on longlife servicing, and as the car is between 3-5 years old I have purchased a service plan for 2 services at a cost of £360, which is very reasonable. Other servicing costs have been front brake pads at 70k miles and rear disks and pads at 80k miles.

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I’ve been and got the vin but can’t check online (seen the comment above regarding it being out of action) I had a quick look at the service print out this morning and there was a service at 35k miles and it stated gearbox oil so at least that’s been done and I can then keep on top of it. I’m going to request they email me a copy of all work.
    I seen the cambelt interval but thought there was confusion on this and people where getting this done sooner, 70k?
    The salesman this morning said the previous owner was a piano tuner and that he’s traded this one for an identical A6 Avant.
    Is there anyone within the industry that can check the car for me if I provide the vin?
    I plan on prircahsing the service plan for £360 as that seems a good deal, I serviced my Insignia myself but this double the price so going to keep up the Audi history.
    I didn’t notice until this morning though that the wheels must have been refurbished as there is a paint run on one of them, having already placed a deposit is it unlikely they will rectify this? I have ended up paying the screen price but got the gap insurance included (probably not worth anything). They where only willing to throw services, discount etc if I took finance which didn’t suit me.

0 0 0

9. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Here’s a pic from the dealer.

I did look at the 3 series touring BMW first, but the Audi looks far better in my opinion. My only concern is a massive failure like my Insignia has just experienced. The gearbox or engine failing if I plan on putting high miles on it my biggest concern. Seems a few horror stories on the S Tronic/DSG across the net (obviously people don’t come in to say how good there car is so need to put it in perspective) but if I happen to encounter a failure after say 120k miles, realistically what is likely to fail and is it a new box at thousands?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Advice please for a potential new owner. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi with ref to getting it on finance, it may be worth considering to get a discount or service plan thrown in. They did not want to offer me any discounts when I was looking unless taking the finance, I wanted to pay cash, but took the finance got discount etc and payed the finance off the day after I got the car at no extra cost to me as it was in the 14 day cooling off period. It may be worth considering if you are in the same position.
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast