Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluezie View Post
    I wouldn't get hung up about exact mileages for oil changes, as 38,000 is a near approximation to 60,000KM, from which the service schedule is derived.

The reason to change the oil is not because the oil degrades, but due to the wet clutch lining contamination of the oil. So really the need to change the oil should be done on how hard the car is thrashed, (or not), rather than miles.
    A hammered car could need an oil change far sooner than 38K, and a gently driven long distance motorway cruiser could be fine after 200K.

My Husqvarna Enduro motorcycle needs the gearbox oil changing no later than 15 hours, or else there is so much clutch lining contamination, the gearbox gets notchy, and I cannot select neutral very easily. Reason- it's a race bike, and it gets hammered!
    This +1. Too much scaremongering going around surrounding DSG.

0 1 0

2. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Then again... Think of 38K as being the absolute maximum like the silly engine oil 18/20k LongLife servicing interval .

There is a direct correlation of late servicing and S-Tronic gearbox issues , good luck .

0 0 0

3. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again all. The combination of the late service and the coolant leak that was investigated but not fixed means this is one is a no go. Real shame. Will keep looking and hopefully be back in the Audi club in the near future.

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    Then again... Think of 38K as being the absolute maximum like the silly engine oil 18/20k LongLife servicing interval .

There is a direct correlation of late servicing and S-Tronic gearbox issues , good luck .
    How late is late for this correlation? 500miles, 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k?

As bluezie stated a DSG that has been driven like its has been stolen and not given due care whilst temperatures are cold will need a service sooner than 38k compared to a DSG that has been treated sensibly, which could go beyond the 38k.

0 1 0

5. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    That 6K over is way over .

0 1 0

6. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    First gearbox oil was done @ 45k. Second one not done yet. Current mileage is 88k so 12k over recommended. Non-Audi dealer is selling with 6month warranty. But it’s the longterm that’s the concern.

Slightly off topic is the coolant leak. This was checked by Audi. I guess it was pressure tested as they charged for 3hrs. But I popped the bonnet and checked on the test drive and coolant was very low so not fixed.

0 0 0

7. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Each to their own regarding box choice but your gearbox doesn't self destruct if you go over by a couple of thousand. But agree on keeping the services as regular as you can.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 1 0

8. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    The S-tronic isn't your ordinary DSG .

0 1 0

9. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Coolant leak would be a show stopper for me
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 1 0

10. Re: 3.0ltr Quattro stronic vs horsebox 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I have just had to change cars because of a coolant leak. It was down to the oil cooler and effectively filled the gearbox with coolant, a full refurb of the box was needed, I traded the car in and took a hit after spending a grand getting oil cooler replaced and box flushed.
    I have since bought a 2015 Allroad which is 3.0TDi and S-Tronic, happily tows my 1775kg caravan around and is stable. I suggest going for the Allroad for towing horse box as you get 100kg towball limit rather than 75kg for the Avant. Also the air suspension is very forgiving on what is being towed whether that is a caravan or your prized horses.
    You've done the right thing checking the service history, the gearbox being serviced on correct mileage is an absolute must.

BTW for a multironic gearbox refurb I got quoted at least £3k so it pays to be picky.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 1 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast