Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    it could well be that inlet gasket has blown and that be the faint hiss you hear?-having said that tho (since ur egine, is in line and just that wee bit easy'r to look at) rocker cover gasket could be the cause of that oil, u would have to get a good look -wipe clean it an see where it come back from-tho if it the rocker you should be able to see, egr is another culprit for oil weeps but again you should manage to see if it coming from there, where it conects to the inlet !!

0 0 0

2. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    One other thing that springs to mind--is the turbo Vacum actuator valve could just have let go be coroded and leaking-in which case you not see any oil, it would just mean that the vac not building up enough to pull turbo onto boost !!

0 0 0

3. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    I checked that by using my vacuum pump. It pulled and held without any drop in vac. But thanks for thinking for me.
    One question you might know the answer to. When my boost pipe went a couple of months ago it didnt go into limp mode at all, it just made a racket like a jet taking off. So if one of the boost pipes has a small leak why would it go into limp?
    cheers
    Nigel

0 0 0

4. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    In truth I cant think why it did not give limp mode when pipe split, 17964 - Charge pressure control; negative deviation-is saying that it took too long to reach requested pressure which caused it to go limp mode, if a pipe had a small leak it could cause limp (not garenteed tho usualy dose-from almost all I have seen) because it takes too long to produce the requested boost that ecu is asking for !! if that makes any sence to you ?? keep mind that with these vv turbos when working corectly they spin up allmost instantly so what ever is asked for is there almost instantly, and a delay of however many mili seconds or less trips limp, that said it depends on what load-road speed-etc etc, the leaky intercooler on a pals car did not allways go limp infact it showed up more when in high gear low revs foot planted, so turbo should have been on full boost but took just to long to make it so it limp moded .

0 0 0

5. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Just a thought I would like your opinions on please.
    A couple of months ago I had what sounded like a loose baffle inside the middle exhaust silencer. Sounded like a bolt in a tin can rattling round. This has recently quietened down.
    Do you thing it possible that if the loose baffle has jammed and restricted the exhaust it would cause the turbo not to spool up therefore throwing it into limp mode?
    Interesting thought maybe??????
    Thanks all
    Nigel

0 0 0

6. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    could well be - manifold boost pressure reading would be my next thing to check, or if you're feeling brave, split the exhaust before the silencer and take it for a quick and noisy spin!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yep will do. Do you know what the manifold pressure should be (approx) Also I have ordered a new middle silencer as it needs one anyway. Thinking about it more this would maybe explain the 17964 - Charge pressure control; negative deviation code. I have been told this is under boost. Fingers crossed.
    Cant do anything for a couple of days as the car is in for repair after some dumbo in a big truck swiped my back bumper/wheel arch and ripped it away.
    Thanks for your input
    Nigel

0 0 0

8. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    the boost pressure varies depending on speed and load, up to a maximum of just over 2000mbar absolute, its what the ECU is asking for, specified MAP, compared to what the MAP sensor is measuring that's important, too much variation will trigger your fault code, so just sticking a pressure gauge in the manifold will not tell you much. I fitted a boost gauge to an old TDI I used to have and all it really told me was that the wastegate had opened.

0 0 0

9. Re: Power loss/limp problems. Please help meeee!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi all. Just thought I would mark this as solved.
    After changing the MAF, MAP, Boost solenoid, Putting a hole in the silencer, and even changing the Turbo cartridge and cleaning all the vanes etc (needed this anyway as oil getting through to intercooler system) it turns out that the CAT was blocking the exhaust flow!!!!
    I diagnosed this by unbolting the front flange of the CAT from the turbo leaving a gap, tested and all good. Removed the CAT (pig of a job) and found a "ball" of what looked like melted "honeycomb" stuff rolling around inside. This was sitting in the bottom over the rear exit of the CAT and when exhaust pressure increased the "ball" was pushed against the exit and restricting the flow triggering the limp mode. I just whacked it with a hammer and chisel and it broke up easily and emptied it out. Refit everything and she goes like a rocket again. Even better I think as I removed the filthy EGR and cleaned the inlet out whilst I was at it.
    So to sum up: If you have a loss of power and it isn't any of the other things suggested then check your CAT. Especially if you have something that sounds like a bolt rattling around inside your exhaust somewhere and/or a whining/screeching sound on acceleration.
    Thanks to you guys who gave me advice and answered my questions. I also hope that someone may see this and save themselves a lot of hassle and expense.
    Pic of the ball of "stuff" in the bottom of CAT:
    CAT.jpg

1 1 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12