1. 05 Alhambra Front Shockers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Alhambra was knocking badly at the front end when negotiating our awful pot holes on minor roads. At 125,000 miles I decided to change the front shockers and top donuts. I sourced the shocks and donuts on line through the 'bay from different suppliers. Monroe shocks and Meyle donuts with top bearings. On the face of it, (and the YouTube Video on a Sharan) it is a doddle - try it on a less than new 125k model! Access to the shocker top mounts necessitates removal of the surfboard for both and the wiper mechanism, battery and also moving aside the coolant header to access the passenger (LH side). The driver (RH side) top nut was seized, needing judicious application of heat to free off. The passenger side shocker rod allen key socket was damaged, needing careful filing to fit the correct key. Disconnection of both tops need use of ring spanner and allen key. I found differing nut sizes - 22mm and 3/8 Whit! From below, I removed the whole strut assembly after removal of the brake caliper, drive shaft bolt and lower swivel allen bolts. Be careful, they are heavy! The passenger side shocker clamp bolt sheared off when trying to remove. Yet again, application of heat from a welding torch did the job. I bought 2 replacement bolts ordered from the local Ford dealer to fit an 05 Galaxy, which is the same. Replacing the shocks need a reliable set of spring compressors -best mount the shock firmly upright in a vice to do this. Make sure reassembly of the top is correct - spring; top plate; top bearing (comes with donut); nut. Then donut on top before offering up to car. Then, from above, top cup, washer and nut.

After reassembly I was disappointed to learn that although there was some improvement, I still had knocking from the shocker top mounts. Investigation using axle stands, trolley jack and a helper revealed the top mounts were poorly located and loose in the top mount. I then learnt there are differences in the mounts from different sources and on spec ordered a (more expensive) pair of Monroe branded donuts from the same source as the shockers. Swapping the donuts (you can "just" do it by disconnecting the top mounts and dropping the whole leg assembly as low as possible) fixed the problem. (The Monroe donuts had a pronounced "trumpet" on the top face, helping to "centre" the shocker in the upper location, the Meyle donuts do not)

The now relative silence is bliss!

Now to find and fix the Air Con leak!

Bob
    Last edited by dunkley201; 22-08-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    63 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sport

Gone: 10MY Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto, Stornaway Grey. 55 SEAT Alhambra SX 130TDi (Grandad's taxi/shed) Freelander 2 TD4 SE manual, Rimini Red. 07 Passat Est SE 2.0 TDI 140 DSG Blue Graphite

0 1 0

2. Re: 05 Alhambra Front Shockers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Well done, a complete no fun job, I done the same last week on an 03 Vw Sharan, had the bottom carrier bolt snap as well. Several hours of drilling and tapping a new thread. You done well removing the top nut. I had to use a 1 inch air gun a half inch converter a snap on uj socket and 5 minutes of full power to remove the rusted nut, and two pair's of mole grips on the strut. Getting the top plate to sit below the threaded section on the strut whilst compressing the spring is a very hairy prospect. See my picture, ended up replacing, strut, spring, mount, bearing, top plate and nut.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: 05 Alhambra Front Shockers 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    That's the sort of job that grows arms and legs, you take it on as a favour to a pal or a weekend 'need the car for monday' type job and end up cursing the day you first picked up a spanner.

0 0 0