Hi all i have a golf mk4 which has no spark. 2 weeks ago I went to do my first ever compression test on a car just for curiosity (which had cost me dearly) and got 150psi out of each cylinders which i was okay with. I then went to start the car after putting the coils and spark plugs in and the engine just cranks and does not start. When this happened i thought i would use jumpeer cables to start the car and i connected the red end and black end to each battery terminal on my car then when i went to connect the black and red end of the other side of the cable i left it on the floor as someone called me and the cable ends touched and one cable cut in half. The first thing i looked for was a fuse that had blown after just cranking and not starting and they all are fine i cannot see any blown fuse then i tested for sparks and there is none in each coil. I then asked garages if they will take my car if i tow it there but they said to get an autoelectrician (£80!)and so i did and he said everything is fine except no spark signal coming from ecu. So i sent the ecu away to a company called ecu express they said the main chip had gone and would have to get another ecu and code it so my key would work (£250 total!). i got the ecu back plugged it in and i have the same problem!! i phoned them up and they said it was tested before it was sent and that there is another problem else where and to get another autoelectrician to test it. i have spent £300 and the car still has the same problem which is annoying.

on another point i thought all that would be damaged if cables touch is the battery because the electricity would take the shortest route?? i think it was the compression test which damaged it som how because thats the reason i needed the cables in the first place but all i did was take the coils out..

is there anything else which anyone could think of as to whats going on? such as which pin is responsible for the spark signal and how to test it? i doubt all the coils would be faulty and give no spark.

any help would be helpful. Thank you!