Two years ago I picked up a tidy 2.0TDi 140 with 60-odd thousand on the clock, and noticed in hot weather there was an intrusive whine from the timing belt, at idle only.

So took the plunge and got a VW dealer to replace the belt and pump, so it was all genuine parts and done by the book. Car came back, quiet as you like so very happy with that, but this was mid September and the weather was not overly hot.

Last year there were not that many really hot days but I noticed the whine was coming back, and to prove it I took the top belt cover off, placed a screwdriver handle against the belt and the noise stopped! Now maybe I should have gone back to the VW dealer but other things took priority, the weather cooled off again and the noise went.

Now, of course this year has been a scorcher, well not today(!), so the noise is back and I kind of just ignore it best I can as its only at idle. But surely when the car was new it wouldn’t have made this whine or it would have returned back, or maybe some owners are more tolerant?

So... my question is has anyone else noticed this, and is there a cure cos its quite annoying!

- Steve