Notices

User Tag List

Thread: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi all, as per title I need some rear shocks, any good deals out there, and how can I be sure what I buy is set right for my non-sports saloon suspension?

I see some Monroe shocks on eBay at a good price, or pair of Sachs for about £100 from euro car parts.

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Bilstein B4 .

0 0 0

3. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thedktor View Post
    Hi all, as per title I need some rear shocks, any good deals out there, and how can I be sure what I buy is set right for my non-sports saloon suspension?

I see some Monroe shocks on eBay at a good price, or pair of Sachs for about £100 from euro car parts.

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    If you are prepared to wait a few days for delivery Auto Doc and Mister Auto usually have a large range of shocks at a range of very decent prices. Auto Doc is also known by a few other names for maximum coverage - best prices via their phone app.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

4. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I've never had an issue with Monroe. Never splashed out as far as Bilstien

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

OK so some more "interneting" and Mister Auto might be getting my business shortly.... How do I know what is the correct shock though as I want the standard "soft" one not the sports or estate version, - there are two listed for my car "Standard suspension" and "All models". I assume "standard" ?

0 0 0

6. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

OK so some more "interneting" and Mister Auto might be getting my business shortly.... How do I know what is the correct shock though as I want the standard "soft" one not the sports or estate version, - there are two listed for my car "Standard suspension" and "All models". I assume "standard" ?
    The Sport, R Line and Blue motion models usually need the 'For cars with Sports Suspension' version of the part. Those with the 'regular' suspension setup need the 'standard' version.

Front ride heights (axle centre to centre of wheel arch)
    Sport and Blue motion 368mm
    Standard and self levelling 383mm
    Heavy duty 403mm

Rear ride heights
    Sport 368mm
    Blue motion 373mm
    Standard 383mm
    Self levelling 373mm
    Heavy duty 393mm

Yours should be around 383mm all round if standard. Spring height differences will not however be the difference in the ride height as a loose rule of thumb because of compression coefficients for each type of spring (the B6 has 18 different OE spring versions). Shocks can be bought with varying dampening but springs are the support for the whole car on the running gear so contribute the most to the base comfort level with shocks controlling how the spring compresses and extends which affects the ride quality. Other factors such as suspension joints and bushes, tyre size and tyre brand choice all contribute to the ride so changing one part may not give you the instant result you may be seeking. Putting the right blend together or fitting a proven kit like the Eibach and Bilstein sets usually gives the best results.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

7. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When it comes to replacing dampers on customers cars I take extra great care to get it right, most people would not care if it was off a different make of car as long as it fitted. The first step is to assertion the correct VAG part number and as there are around 10 possible vesrsions on a 2007 3C saloon (discounting those for sports, rough road or self levelling and 4M versions) it can get bewildering. I can’t check accurately without your VIN and from my iPad I can’t cross reference to OE supplier numbers. I would guesstimate that yours are 3C0 513 049 BR which cost £105.35 genuine or the genuine VW ECO version, JZW 513 025 N is £74.16 and I would use Sachs, Boge or Monroe but the latter can be more troublesome to get hold of. Sachs from Euro are more expensive on their web site than genuine VW ECO and only £7 less than a factory original genuine VW part! It always pays to check the genuine price of many items as often you are shocked and not only that, there is a two year labour inclusive warranty even if you fit them. Remember it is highly likely that you will need new bump stops and possibly the tubes (we stock Febi on these) and the top and bottom bolts MUST be replaced as they are one time only. The bottom bolt can be an absolute pain as it is 21mm hex and you cannot get a socket onto it and it is easy to cross thread it when re-fitting which is a disaster! To set this bolt to its correct torque using a conventional torque wrench (can’t remember the figure but 180Nm springs to mind) we have made a ring spanner/socket extension tool by welding a cheap 21mm ring spanner end to an old 1/2” drive socket. Then you need to measure the centre to centre distance and do a quick Google search to find a torque value converter to give you the correction figure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thank you Mad Mitch and Crasher for your helpful replies.

I had already ordered the Monroe for standard suspension so will have to hope they are ok...

Any tips for getting the bottom bolt undone? I don't have a torch but could blast it with a heat gun.

0 0 0

9. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Thank you Mad Mitch and Crasher for your helpful replies.

I had already ordered the Monroe for standard suspension so will have to hope they are ok...

Any tips for getting the bottom bolt undone? I don't have a torch but could blast it with a heat gun.
    I have a DeWalt DCF899N so no bolt / nut is usually a problem. A 3 foot bar is my other weapon of choice. Dowse the nut and bolt with WD40 and leave to work for 20 minutes would help.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

10. Re: B6 2.0TDi1 140 Rear Shock Recommendation? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is no nut, it is an M14x1.5 thread directly into the hub carrier but it is at an off square angle both horizontally and vertically and not square to the damper lower bush sleeve, this is why it is easy to cross thread it upon re-assembly, if you get that far... The bolt passes through the hub so exposing around 5mm of thread the other side and over the space of ten ish years, this rusts. Then you come along and undoe this bolt, rotating the tail of a ten year old rusty high tensile 10.9 bolt all the way through a forged steel hubs thread, you can imagine what this softer thread then looks like.... The bolt itself is one time only and MUST not be re-used.... What also makes the bolt evil to remove is that a socket won’t work, you have to use a 21mm spanner.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast