Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Vanishing windscreen washer fluid.

1. Vanishing windscreen washer fluid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Had this intermittent problem since I purchased the car which is a Le Mans 2.0 170 tdi. Everything seems ok for a while then windscreen washer fluid is lost without even using the system. Had the car looked at by both Stoke Audi and a mechanic friend and neither can find any problem or leak. However last week I filled up the reservoir with about 4 liters of fluid when the warning lamp came on and because the headlight wash had been used a few times thought nothing of it. Yesterday I checked the level again and another 2 liters needed adding although I had not used the system at all in the meantime. I cannot see any evidence of a leak under the car and all the footwell carpets are bone dry. On other occasions I have filled up the reservoir and checked level after a few days of not using the system (parked on the drive) and all has been fine. Any ideas what this problem can be as it is driving me crazy??

0 0 0

2. Re: Vanishing windscreen washer fluid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Is it an avant?
    common point of leakage is the bendy pipe that joins to the bonnet near passenger side. But if you haven’t used the washer fluid it won’t be that.

0 0 0

3. Re: Vanishing windscreen washer fluid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    You need to get someone to use the windscreen washer and check for leaks and drips

As the car gets older, joints can leak as the plastic goes harder and harder, so it doesn't seal with no flexibility

Also the plastic pipes can rub on inner wing etc and over time this is filing the outside of the pipes, eventually causing a leak

Take off the inner lining on the passenger front / nearside wing and have a good look between the bottle and pump, because if your loosing fluid without using it, then that's where your leak is ………………………………… or you have a hairline crack in the water holder
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0

4. Re: Vanishing windscreen washer fluid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Strangely Enough I just fixed this on My A6 leak was slow but constant and would drip onto the tray first so wasn’t visible till later.

Firstly if it’s an Avant as mentioned already check the rear washer leak issue.

If not (Mines is a Saloon but 3.0tdi) I found it was the seal from the pump and bottle.

I’ve replaced both and the leak has stopped. £7 off eBay. Not sure if the washer bottle is in a different position for that engine. I took one torx screw off by the passenger wheel and manhandled the liner out of the way enough for me to get at the pump. Small hose has a metal clap and the pump itself it just friction fit into position. Just pull it off. Be ready for all the water to come out if there is any. Unplug the harness (how are you mean to take those off, I seem to struggle with that) and take the foam material off the old pump onto the new one. Then just do the reverse of removal. Very easy if awkward.

0 0 0

5. Re: Vanishing windscreen washer fluid. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem, turned out it was a split in the body of the headlight washer.

0 0 0