1. Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, wonder if anyone can help me with a damp issue....

the car car starts and runs fine most of the time, but when we’ve had rain fall it is spluttering and misfiring for about 5 mins or so , eventually running as normal once warmed up. This is a recent development and I’ve replaced the plugs and Ht leads and also cleaned any carbon deposits off the contacts in the distributor as well as the rotar arm...with the recent hot and dry weather everything has been tickety boo but last weekend it rained and lo and behold it fired up and spluttered for a few minutes until the engine warmed up.

A friend of a friend of a friend plugged it into his vag.com and got the following code:

00515 camshaft position (hall) sensor (G40)
    03-00 no signal

so I’ve figured the hall sensor is positioned somewhere in the dizzy(?) - how easy is it to replace? Do I need to get timing redone? Or maybe replace whole dizzy?

is there a much simpler solution as it seems to me that there is nothing actually wrong with the hall sensor providing it doesn’t rain!

Any information or or suggestions would be gratefull as I know only basic mechanics (very basic!)

golf SE 1800 petrol ADZ

thanks in advance!

0 0 0

2. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The hall sender is in the dizzy BUT your friend has read the codes with the engine off and ignition on and the Mono Motronic system will always store 00515 until the engine is running, if the G40 DID have no signal the engine would not run. If you have replaced the leads and plugs and are sure the cap and rotor are good, then I would suspect a damp start misfire is due to the ignition coil starting to fail.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks crasher, can’t really remember if the engine was running during test, would’ve thought it was, but going on what you say maybe it was just the ignition that was on. Either way, guess I’ll go down the route of trying a new coil if it starts to get any worse, not really a major issue at the moment but something I’d like to get right before the autumn and wet weather returns.....

once i I know it’s cured for sure I’ll post back for others who might have the same symptoms.

Thanks mate

0 0 0

4. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Don’t buy a cheap coil, try and get Beru or something of that standard, I have known cheap white box rubbish fail as fitted.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher, do you know where I could get one? GSF don’t seem to have any, nothing comes up in search, while europarts are doing one for £55 (can get it discounted to £36) which is a Intermotor - any good?

ive seen other coils around £20+ mark but I’d like to fit a good one, as you say, peace of mind....don’t mind paying a little more for good one!

0 0 0

6. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The genuine part number is 6N0 905 104 but I think these are now obsolete but when they wanted £157.40 for them, it is hardly suprising they did not sell many...

In the rare instance of me needing one these days, I buy them from Febi if I have the time to wait or from GSF who usually can get me Beru somthem not listing this on their web site (I checked) must be a mistake but BBT Ignition Coil | Euro Car Parts are usually Vemo which are OK. Any bloke into cars in my age group, especially living around Nottingham where the factory is, will flinch at the name Intermotor, they were so notorious they changed their name to Standard Motor Parts on most of what they sell and I still avoid them like the plague......

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Mis-fire when damp hall sensor? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again Crasher, really useful info as I know naff all on brands!

well, what would you know, yesterday went to start the car, after all day raining, and it misfires worse than ever, major trouble even starting it! In desperation lifted the dizzy cap and went in with lashings of WD40 and lo and behold it starts and runs sound as...

So looks like it was cap after all! I’m gonna replace it and chuck on an arm as well, I also noticed the coil didn’t even get warm let alone hot, so I’ll assume that’s ok after all. Should it go in the future, at least I’ll know which to get and where, so thanks once again, nice one!

0 0 0