1. Reversing camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On ebay, I've seen a number of reversing cameras for the Mk4 golf that replace one of the number plate lights. The existing bulb/holder goes in one side of it where there is a half-sized lens, and the other half is the camera. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this product? They all look pretty much the same - just the price differs.

Thanks!

Camera.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: Reversing camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having dug the licence plate unit out of my Mk4, the size is the same as this camera - but my Mk4 has a festoon bulb behind a removable lens, whereas the above camera device is like a round bayonet fitting for a smaller capsule bulb.

I'd be interested in any other ideas for reversing cameras anyone has done for a Mk4. In the meantime, have found a similar camera to the first but it has an in-built LED light for the number plate so am gonna give that a go and will post up how I get on. Pic of the second type below.

Camera2.jpgCamera4.jpg
    Last edited by Midge; 03-08-2018 at 11:24 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Reversing camera 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got around to sorting out the camera so this is the result for anyone thinking of doing the same. Isn't bad actually considering how cheap it was (£12.50 for the screen, and £14.40 for the camera).

It's wired up to the reversing lights so all comes on automatically. Both the screen and the camera are fitted with short video cords terminating in yellow phono plugs, and power cables fitted with CCTV type power plugs. All cables were provided. The video extension cord supplied with the camera is plenty long enough to get to the front of the car and includes a single wire to carry the reversing light supply forward to power the screen

Some things to note:

1. Phono connectors can pull apart easily - so did the front with standard heat-shrink sleeve to make sure they don't. The screen needs a local earth and there is a convenient bracket if you pull the fuse box door/surround off, and also space for the phono/power connectors.
    2. The cable for the camera is so short, you have to plug it together behind the bumper so I used adhesive lined marine-grade heat shrink for that.
    3. I've actually kept the old number plate light in circuit behind the bumper with sleeving around it, and just wired the integral LED number plate light for the camera in parallel - so the modification is easily reversed + it should mean there will be no bulb-out errors (I'm going to swap the other side for an LED bulb).
    4. I considered a flip up folding screen initially, but there isn't enough space for one where I wanted to put it, so ended up with one with an adjustable stand and self-adhesive base. Looks OK - but just hope no-one thinks it's a sat nav and tries to nick it!
    5. The camera cables didn't have a seal around them where they go into the camera, so a dab of sealant sorted that out.
    6. Bumper needed to come off to fit it so took a bit longer than I was expecting.

Camera9.jpgCamera10.jpgCamera5.jpg

0 0 0