1. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    This sounds exactly like my problem as well, I am wondering is there a easy way to flush out the matrix without removing it? Ive already had the car to a vw garage and had thermostat replaced and no improvement so if I could fix the problem with little to no cost would be ideal.

0 0 0

2. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi did this solve your issue, I’m having the same problems

0 0 0

3. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi what size pipe did you use for the bypass?

0 0 0

4. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I´ve got the same problem with my car (2010 A3 8P). Water is getting hot but air is cold. If the load is higher, then the temperature is getting from 90 to 115 degrees within a minute. Shift down and use RPM above 2000 reduces the temperature.
    I´ve flushed the heater matrix and found a bit of lime in the heater matrix. There was water flow through the matrix but it was not very much.
    I used ¾” water hose for the flushing. I heated up the material and put it on the pipes for the heater.
    The outer dimension of my water hose fitted perfectly in the quick connectors. The diameter is 22.5mm (I guess).
    I´ll try the bypass next days and really hope that this is the reason because my mechanics want to replace the head gasket and this isn´t very cheap.

My theory what happens:
    If the temperature is cold, the thermostat valve is closed and the only way for the coolant water is through the heater matrix. If this is clogged there is less water through the head and the temperature rises at higher loads. A low flow through the heater matrix will cause a higher temperature difference between in and out. Let´s say the input temperature (this is also the point of the sensor) is at 110 degree and the output temperature is at 80 degree. The cold water will flow to the thermostat but this won´t open because it´s too cold.

0 0 0

5. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    When your engine is idling & standing still when you check both top & bottom radiator hoses they should be the same temp if not then you must have a restriction of flow in radiator. We always added citric acid to the system after a few days running then flushing out always cleared the system

0 0 0

6. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have had the same problem which i have now fixed .
    The heater matrix was partially blocked but only slightly it still had a flow going through it.
    If you disconnect the two pipes that feed the matrix in the engine compartment at the bulkhead then remove the fittings.
    Get two 22mm plumbing elbows and 3 short pieces of 22mm copper tube about3 inches long.
    Make up the elbows and tube into a u shape configuration and Connect the two matrix feed pipes together using the 22mm tubes to bypass the matrix use a piece of string to tie the pipes up to stop them kinking.
    Refill with coolant then test if it doesn't overheat then it's the matrix.
    Dont bother trying to flush the matrix I tried every chemical and even pumps it didn't work.
    I replaced the matrix took a few hrs.
    There must have been a problem with the cooling system as vw changed the thermostat housing around late 2009 only a couple of years after the car was introduced to a multi connection one they must of realised the cooling system was pants.
    Mine is the single connection thermostat housing it is behind the alternator almost impossible to get at.
    This 1.6 engine is absolutely horrendous nothing is easy to fix on it.
    So far I have had a failed egr valve/oil cooler leak/water pump failure/heater matrix/air in abs control module the list goes on.

0 0 0

7. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there. I think i'm having a similar issues but wondering if mine is the same as yours as my blowers are working and blow warm air into the car?

In summary

- when in 5th gear at 70mph the temperature gauge rises all the way up to 130c!

- when I drop it to 4th and maintain 70mph gauge drops back to 90c (standard temp)

- checked expansion tank and it was actually pretty empty (even though I topped it up a couple of weeks ago)

Topped it last night, driven to Warrington and whilst gauge doing the same again with the gears tank is no lower from what I can see.

Read it could be the head / head gasket or something but seems odd if temp goes back to 90c.

Any help would be really appreciated 🙂

Thanks ☺️

0 0 0

8. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    You can test the matrix it has 2 pipes feeding it they are at the back of the engine they go through the bulkhead into the passenger side of the car.
    You will need to unclip them mark them first as it is important which way they go Back.
    Go to screwfix or any plumbers and get some speedfit 22mm plastic pipe.
    Remove the ends of the heater pipe and connect the pipes together by inserting the 22mm pipe inside use the spring clips or get some jubilee clips.
    Try the car then .
    This engine is very poor It has 2 water pumps one electric and one that runs on the timing belt I have changed both.
    I have also changed the oil cooler twice and the thermostat housing.
    The matrix is what was causing the overheat problems you can change it yourself but it is a pig to get out.
    If you need any more help let me know

0 0 0

9. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    @Bainster, with a CAYC engine that is very likely the head going porus internally... there is a casting number on the back (very difficult to see) and anything upto and including 230 is a potential problem unit

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great thanks so much. It's with the garage at the mo

I noticed the main fan on the car has stopped screaming (used to do it even when I'd finished a small journey). Tried to locate the fuse as wondered if it would be that?

I'll see if I can check the head code later.

I know I've asked before but is it drivable on the motorway? Or will it go "pop" mid flow?!

Just working out the risks as it's been fine today!

Cheers

0 0 0

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast