Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie1.6tdi View Post
    Hey, I have a Mk6 1.6di golf cayc and have the same issue with the car overheating but not headgasket or any of that. Had waterpump and thermostat already done. Still getting heat through the blower but unsure of what it could be, ive noticed there is no return into the expansion tank on idle but when the car is being revved over 2k roughly it seems to only then circulate the coolant. If the car is being driven low revs for a long period of time it will begin climbing in temperature but if being drove harder its fine. And after a journey of driving the car over 2k the radiator is only barely warm no where near as warm as it should be, hose going to top of the rad is soft and luke warm as well.
    I drive the same car, the cool running you see is pretty normal. I also drive a sprinter and although it does not have coolant temp gauge at idle in winter it doesn't even run hot enough to keep you warm.
    What kind of temps are you getting when it overheats? Does the fan kick in? On mine when running with a high load I have never noticed it go over the 90 mark.

0 0 0

2. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I see what your saying but this is on 20 degree days and the rad will be fairly cool if i don't have the car high in the rev range, unsure of whats blocked or broken but I don't wanna go throwing a load of money at it like people have done and still not solve the problem.

0 0 0

3. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    I see what your saying but this is on 20 degree days and the rad will be fairly cool if i don't have the car high in the rev range, unsure of whats blocked or broken but I don't wanna go throwing a load of money at it like people have done and still not solve the problem.
    The cool running still sounds like what I'd expect from this model. However that is just one opinion, keep an eye on it

What type of overheating are you getting?

0 0 0

4. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Not to be rude but it definitively isnt right for the car, the coolant isnt circulating back into the expansion tank on idle, not sure of what to do.

0 0 0

5. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Supplementary electric water pump failure... probably. How do you know it is not the head gasket? The CAY series is getting a reputation for it.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    It has started getting worse, on the way home from a 30 min drive and it started heating up.... and higher revs isnt fixing it any more, I havent had the car pressure tested but im fairly sure it isnt that, Think it could be egr cooler/valve.
    Thinking of getting a obd2 reader can anyone recommend a good one for around £60

0 0 0

7. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Not to be rude but it definitively isnt right for the car, the coolant isnt circulating back into the expansion tank on idle, not sure of what to do.
    On mine, at idle, there is a constant flow/trickle back to the reservoir through the top hose. Yes that is a cause for concern.

Hopefully other members could advise further

0 0 0

8. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    67 Post(s)
    The only thing that can drive that flow of coolant back to the coolant tank is one of the coolant pumps.

Weather it is the main pump or suplementary pump, I don't know enough about this engine.

But that is where I would be looking.

0 0 0

9. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A faulty supplementary electric water pump may not show up on a generic code reader, it needs to be checked to see if it is working.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI Overheating issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Last edited by Roverfan; 27-05-2020 at 11:20 AM. Reason: May not be accurate, logging off

0 0 0

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast