1. A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi everyone. I've seen lots of posts here and other sites on AC problems and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for me before I fork out for a new compressor!

Have not had my AC serviced for 6yrs and in June it stopped working. There were no odd noises, fan was blowing OK but no cool air from the vents and ECON light stuck on. I realise now I should have had regular service/top ups to protect the system so (expensive) lesson learned. Anyway, had it vacuum checked and topped up from 150g to 550g but still no luck. I changed the G395 pressure sensor as that seems a common fault but still no cool air and ECON light still stuck on.

Finally took it to a local independent who found no refrigerant and a big leak in the condenser using fluorescent dye. They replaced the condenser and got good flow of cool air from vents at least as good as it has ever worked before and it ran fine for the 40 min ride home. Hooray? However after not driving for a couple of days, again no cool air!

Now, when driving with fans blowing and I press AUTO the ECON light goes out as expected. Something seems to close the air ducts for a few seconds and there's a muffled sound like a jet engine which soon dies away and then some air starts to flow through the vents though not quite as powerful as would expect. However it never gets cool. Took it back to the independent garage who says there are no VAGCOM errors and system is full of refrigerant so it must be the compressor.

I appreciate that not servicing/topping up for 6 years and running on low/no pressure puts a strain on the compressor but it was clearly working when they put in the new condenser and refrigerant so why would it fail now. Before I pay >£600 for the new compressor I just wonder if there could be something else at fault?

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Easy stuff first, I expect they checked the pressure in the system was ok? I had a condenser that leaked and the intake valve had to be replaced on it.
    Landrover Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE
    A6 (C6)Quattro 3.0 tdi Avant Fully loaded Le Mans. Sold
    A6 (C5)Quattro 2.5 tdi(AKE) PP683's & Celtic Remap Sold

0 0 0

3. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    With no errors more than likely the compressor.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for you quick response jubbly.

Yes they did check the pressure and it was OK. I've just been quoted £1900 by Audi for parts and labour for a new compressor.....ouch! At least the local independent at £600 is a bit more reasonable, just wanted to be sure I've not missed a trick before giving in.

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks rowdy-999.

Yes I suppose if there were any problems with the flap motors in the air ducts they would show up as errors. When I first took the car in to the garage VAGCOM showed a low pressure warning on the G395 sensor as well as the warning below but both cleared after the new condenser was fitted and refrigerant topped up.

00716 Recirculation Flap Motor - V113 Mechanical Malfunction Intermittent

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    only use a brand new pump NOT recon.
    Get your part number and price one up using ebay.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 C6 Avant 2.0TDi 2008 - Another Air Con problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well....the plot thickens....and my wallets getting thinner!

Audi dealer wanted £1800 to fit a new compressor so I went back to the local independent who changed the condenser last week.

Today they found that the compressor is faulty by removing it and putting 12V on the leads.....BUT....when they fitted the new compressor, although it worked, it cut out when the wiring loom was jiggled so they suspect a wiring fault in the engine bay.....AND......they think the wiring fault shorted out the old compressor.

So now my suspicion is that as the A/C was working after they originally fitted the new condenser the mechanic must have damaged the wiring loom during the job leading to a subsequent short during the few hours I drove the car which then blew the old compressor. Just seems too much of a coincidence or am I clutching at straws?

Any thoughts anyone on which part of the loom could have been damaged fitting the condenser and how likely you think this might be????

0 0 0