1. Hello and Goodbye 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a great vw Golf 2002 1.9 tdi for 3 months.

199k on clock.

Great ride.

Engine 'blew up' today after I fixed a split vacuum hose (that fixed a flat spot, low boost).

AA man reckons piston is cracked.

Car looks great and drove well, MOT until May 2019. Now sorned. Lost £1k purchase price and £90 insurance cancel plus money spent on Haynes manual. new (not fitted because seller said car had just had a service) filters sitting in boot, plus can of fully synthetic oil.

I really liked the car.

Gutted.

Don't know what to do now, Everyone says uneconomical to repair; would take me months to strip down to renew a piston and I don't have months.

0 0 0

2. Too much OIL????????? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could not believe a piston had cracked so I went back over everything I have learned in the 2.5 months I have had this car.

The AA man said it had to be a piston crack because HOW else could so much oil get the exhaust? (Blue smoke). He wouldn't even do a diagnostic until I insisted. He also asked me what my job was and told me he had been working on cars longer than I had. Good customer service...

So I thought about it.

Before I started pulling hoses off and injectors out for an endoscope or compression test I thought I 'd check the DIPSTICK, just like the dipstick I am.

Lent car to a mate, 300 mile journey, he told me oil was low, I asked him to top up AND I checked today and the level is WAY above max.

Could this be the problem? I will be sucking some out tomorrow, and see if it has any affect.

0 0 0

3. Re: Hello and Goodbye 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I could not believe a piston had cracked so I went back over everything I have learned in the 2.5 months I have had this car.

The AA man said it had to be a piston crack because HOW else could so much oil get the exhaust? (Blue smoke). He wouldn't even do a diagnostic until I insisted. He also asked me what my job was and told me he had been working on cars longer than I had. Good customer service...

So I thought about it.

Before I started pulling hoses off and injectors out for an endoscope or compression test I thought I 'd check the DIPSTICK, just like the dipstick I am.

Lent car to a mate, 300 mile journey, he told me oil was low, I asked him to top up AND I checked today and the level is WAY above max.

Could this be the problem? I will be sucking some out tomorrow, and see if it has any affect.

As in 5mm above the max mark on dipstick (not sure how much that equates to in ml without looking in a couple of books.

What would you expect the engine to do?

Thanks in advance

This may have some bearing on this post if I am lucky:

0 0 0