1. S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I changed the s-tronic gearbox oil today on my 3.0 TDI Quattro, and am really just checking to see if all is well. (transmission codes are MNB PXD)
    I spent quite a while trawling the internet, and Elsawin etc to find the oil capacity, and somewhere I read 7.1 Litres. So I went to TPS, and asked them, who also said about 7 Litres, and sold me 7L.
    When I drained the oil today, I only got out 4.61 Litres including the filter.
    The question is that, is this correct for an oil change? And is there still 2.49 Litres still trapped in the internal plumbing of the gearbox and mechatroninc, or is the quoted 7.1 Litres capacity actually nonsense?

0 0 0

2. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    The clutch has 7 litres the gearbox 4.5, they're two separate parts

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.wj.wilson View Post
    The clutch has 7 litres the gearbox 4.5, they're two separate parts

The oil I changed was the one that comes out of the drain plug in the middle of the steel sump pan, and includes the filter on the side of the gearbox, and is filled from a plug in the side next to the filter. The oil that came out was very runny, as was the DSG oil I put back in.
    I thought the oil that has to be changed was the clutch oil? I saw another drain plug at the far end of the gearbox, and assumed this to be the gear oil drain?
    I'm pretty sure I haven't drained the wrong oil, as the gearbox end doesn't have a filter to change. I used Elsawin to locate the plugs.

0 0 0

4. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Go on YouTube or Google it'll show more than I can type.

0 0 0

5. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    There is nothing I can find on YouTube or Google for my specific transmission, but I've re-read my Elsawin factory manual and cannot find anything I've done wrong. I just have a lot of 'missing' transmission fluid, or miss information on the capacity.

0 0 0

6. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I've just watched a video of a transverse VW DSG, and although a completely different transmission and method of filling (through a snorkel via the drain plug) The say you normally get 4,5 Litres per drain off.
    So, based on this, is my S-tronic a 7 Litre dry capacity, but 4,61 litres at an oil change?
    Another thing I noticed, is the old oil was yellow, as is the various videos I've watched. The new oil is green, but the part number matches fine, and it does say DSG oil on the bottle. I'm assuming this is all fine, and they have just changed the formula?

0 0 0

7. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    The oil I got from TPS is G 052 529 A2 and is extremely thin, like water.

The gear oil for the gearbox part seems to be G 052 513 A2
    and I assume is a lot thicker viscosity, so the shouldn't be any confusion between the 2 oils?

0 0 0

8. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I've asked a lot of questions and only had one answer. And I could do with knowing what's going on sooner rather than later, as I cannot afford to replace the gearbox if it goes bang!
    Is there anyone out there that works with S-tonic gearboxes that can categorically say that I should have got 7 Litres of oil out when doing a clutch oil change, and can suggest where the missing 2.5 Litres was hiding? It definitely had approximately the right amount of oil in it, as it's had no leaks, oil poured out of the filler / level plug when draining down, and I just did the first 40K oil change since factory fill.

0 0 0

9. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)

0 0 0

10. Re: S-Tronic gearbox oil change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link!

OMG, that's muddied the waters even further! The article is absolutely full of contradictory information within itself and the Elaswin factory manual. So the clutch gearbox now contains 5, 6 or 7 Litres, the pan does / doesn't come off, the internal oil pickup strainer does doesn't get replaced, and the final level topping up is done with the engine running or stopped.
    Somebody make this stop, my brain hurts!!!

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast