1. Re: total car electronics failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    20+ years of driving and never had an abs pump go faulty. They are safety items and fairly robust.
    It could be a wire somewhere with a break or a corroded pin on the module.
    Fact that it happened when you start the car still points to a old battery not providing the juice needed for a start and maintaining steady power to all the modules. At least to me anyway.
    It’s also the cheapest part to replace and worth a shot as your car is 7 years old and no record of a battery it’s something that’s due anyway. Don’t want it failing in middle of winter in the middle of nowhere.

0 0 0

2. Re: total car electronics failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    actually all warning lights appeared even before i started the car (ignition on, engine off)... i was planning to scan it with vcds and i hadn't started the engine yet. i realize i misspoke in my previous post when i said "started"

when i comes to the battery, i can't really notice any hesitation or difficulty when starting the engine, even in sequences of several starts/stops within a period of few minutes. i don't have the impression that the battery is failing tbh...

0 0 0

3. Re: total car electronics failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just a complete shot in the dark here, but I fixed an intermittent ABS problem on my sisters SEAT, which was caused by a hairline crack in the 30amp fuse on top the battery. Similar to the No. 2 fuse in the picture below, but the crack was much finer, you'd almost have to squint to see it.

Fuse.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: total car electronics failure 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    so far it seems that i have solved the problem and it seems it was a dirty ABS connector. although the pins looked perfectly clean they probably had some micro layer from the oil vapors/water under the hood. i had the connector cleaned using contact spray and electric circuits cleaner and the problem disappeared. i have driven around 100-150 km since and so far so good.

this is very strange, however the pins in the connector seem very delicate. the contact area is very small and having an insulating layer between the contacts seems to easily complicate things.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12