Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello All

I'm new on this forum and although I've owned many VWs I've yet to sample an Audi.
    I'm currently toying with the idea of an Audi A8 D3 model say 2006/2007 but what are my options for playing music from my iPhone?

I rang about a car yesterday and was told that the car had no Bluetooth for audio, no AUX IN and no Apple connector for playing/charging an iPhone.
    Is this all correct?
    Can I ask all you knowledgeable folk what are my options, can anything be retrofitted?
    I've paid in the past for single and double DIN units to be fitted and been very happy with the results.
    Does Audi's MMI system limit my options?

Thanks for any help/advice given.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi A8 D3 options for playing music 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercmush View Post
    Hello All

I'm new on this forum and although I've owned many VWs I've yet to sample an Audi.
    I'm currently toying with the idea of an Audi A8 D3 model say 2006/2007 but what are my options for playing music from my iPhone?

I rang about a car yesterday and was told that the car had no Bluetooth for audio, no AUX IN and no Apple connector for playing/charging an iPhone.
    Is this all correct?
    Can I ask all you knowledgeable folk what are my options, can anything be retrofitted?
    I've paid in the past for single and double DIN units to be fitted and been very happy with the results.
    Does Audi's MMI system limit my options?

Thanks for any help/advice given.
    Hi; you've probably had fewer responses here than if you'd posted it in the A8 D3 forum but herewith a [sort of] summary from a 2005 D3 owner:

I don't believe the A8 D3 ever had iPhone capabilty as standard. The official support for iPods and iPhones was supplied in 2006 by the Audi Music Interface [AMI] which supported various devices via a cable. This was originally an option for new cars but a retro fit kit followed later.

The AMI is supplied in a 'CD like' caddy, so it fits in the A8 in one of the two 'slots' above the passenger glove box. Most A8s came with a CD changer and a spare slot; for retro fitting you just needed the AMI kit, which included the AMI, ipod connector and the appropriate fibre optic and electrical adapter cables. You can connect only one cable/device at a time; potentially available cables support original iPod, iPod Lightning, USB, Phono, etc. but getting the right cable 10 years after the AMI was made available can sometimes be tricky. [Cable part numbers have the same base part number with a single or double letter suffix indicating the type of adapter. There are at least 25 different versions ...]

Note too that you need a minimum level of MMI - 3460 - and the AMI had firmware updates over it's life to support extra connections. '0850' is the final version of the AMI firmware [available on the 5150 CD update if not installed in the AMI].

From a Bluetooth point of view Audi did, at one stage, supply an AMI BT adapter 'kit' [part 4F0 051 510 J] with a BT unit that plugged into an included USB AMI cable but these are very rare and awkward to find. [Bear in mind the AMI itself is long unavailable from Audi; eBay et al. are the potential sources nowdays].

The A8 A6 and Q7 from that era are all MMI 2G systems that use the fibre optic MOST system; there are various 3rd party solutions offering BT connectivity but you'd need to ask elsewhere about those as I've nver tried one. [I use an AMI with a USB cable/stick].

Julian
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 10-07-2018 at 08:58 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi A8 D3 options for playing music 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you Julian for your time and trouble as well as knowledge.
    I decided to give the A8 as miss and have bought a different marque instead.
    I do however still have an excellent low mileage 2006 Jetta so you never know when I might need the help of this forum again.
    Once again I appreciate your very detailed response.

0 0 0