Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Since Sunday my '02 A4 B6 1.6 petrol has developed a problem when starting. The engine runs very roughly, revs rise and fall, stalls if you try to drive.

There is also a metallic poping sound (like hail stones hitting a metal roof perhaps). I made a short video, the sound occurs about 3 times within 25 sec.

Once I wait 5 min to warm it up it drives as normal.

Background:

Engine light has been on for about a year, got error codes checked. guy said it was 2 x MAFs, expensive repair considering age/ value of car and to leave as is as driving OK. Could this be the cause? Of course there may be new codes there now but have no way to read.

Thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinb6 View Post
    Since Sunday my '02 A4 B6 1.6 petrol has developed a problem when starting. The engine runs very roughly, revs rise and fall, stalls if you try to drive.

There is also a metallic poping sound (like hail stones hitting a metal roof perhaps). I made a short video, the sound occurs about 3 times within 25 sec.

Once I wait 5 min to warm it up it drives as normal.

Background:

Engine light has been on for about a year, got error codes checked. guy said it was 2 x MAFs, expensive repair considering age/ value of car and to leave as is as driving OK. Could this be the cause? Of course there may be new codes there now but have no way to read.

Thanks!
    What phone do you have? Plenty of free apps on android or paid apps on iPhone that will allow you to read and clear fault codes. Does sound like a fuelling issue though. All you need is a blue tooth dongle for the obd11 port or you will need a specific one for I phone. Banging noise could be the catalytic converter thanks to the guy who advised you not to fix the fault.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

0 1 0

3. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks. I have both types of phone/tablet. Can you recommenced a dongle/app please?

Is the cat not near the back, or is it near the engine bay, which is where the sound is coming from?

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    get a compression test done to check for burnt out exhaust valve

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The cat is right up as close to the manifold as possible, poor running wrecks them. You can't get away with driving with the light on forever now as it is an MOT failure. What was he on about with 2xMAF's, there is only one and they are not very expensive.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks, it could be the cat then it it's in that area - I'll try to see if I can find the source of the noise.

I'm in Ireland - a light will not fail out NCT test, as long as emissions etc are ok.

Sorry thought there were 2 air flow sensors Attention Required! | Cloudflare

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Thanks, it could be the cat then it it's in that area - I'll try to see if I can find the source of the noise.

I'm in Ireland - a light will not fail out NCT test, as long as emissions etc are ok.

Sorry thought there were 2 air flow sensors Attention Required! | Cloudflare
    I can't see it passing emissions with a knackered cat. The reason it is knackered is because of the poor advice you were given. It usually overheats and breaks or it can even melt, both leave the monolith rattling around in the converters casing.
    His advice now means you need a replacement cat as well as a MAF.

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by calum View Post
    I can't see it passing emissions with a knackered cat. The reason it is knackered is because of the poor advice you were given. It usually overheats and breaks or it can even melt, both leave the monolith rattling around in the converters casing.
    His advice now means you need a replacement cat as well as a MAF.

Hi are we sure it's the cat though, would it make that sound and be ok once it's warmed up?

Re your earlier post about a dongle/app, what would be a good one that would help me fix this issue? Thanks for your help!

0 1 0

9. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Right, I see, so the UK implements the new EU regulations on annual vehicle safety checks but other countries staying in the EU ignore them, and people wonder why half of the UK voted to get out, NOT I hasten to add including me....

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: 1.6 petrol - knocking/popping sound & V rough cold start (with video) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Hi are we sure it's the cat though, would it make that sound and be ok once it's warmed up?

Re your earlier post about a dongle/app, what would be a good one that would help me fix this issue? Thanks for your help!
    I have vcds on the laptop so you'll just have to try them out.
    Pretty sure that the banging is the cat monolith. There's only one way to find out though.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast