1. Cam Chain Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am having some real issues with my 59 plate 2.0 TFSI CCZA engine. (An abridged version) The cam chain "stretched" and I ended up bending the valves. The morning of the failure I started the car and had a slight rattle, probably less than a second. I thought this was strange as I had not heard it before. I started the car several times during the day and it never did it again. There was no lack of performance or engine management light. I started the car again in the evening and it turned over really quickly no compression! When the motor was stripped the chain had stretched and would ride off the camshaft sprockets. New chains, tensioner and valves later the engine has developed a rattle. Stripped again and the timing is out again by about three teeth, no bent valves this time!!! I would like to know whats causing the timing to move that far out and why no engine management light when the crankshaft and camshaft have a correlation error. The management light does light up on ignition.
    Any ideas would be grateful as I am pulling what little I have left out!

Thanks
    BOARDBOY

0 0 0

2. Re: Cam Chain Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Were all six chain guides, two tensioners and the upper sprockets and variations replaced, these are a problem on the EA188 engine?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Cam Chain Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Crasher Sorry for the late reply. The two tensioners, three chains and six guides were replaced. The upper variable pulley didn't get replaced as it is £600+vat, but I am beginning to think this might be the reason it's jumped three teeth again. The other pulley was inspected and showed no signs of wear. The old chain had stretched when compared to the new one. What are variations? The ECU is storing codes that there is an error in the crankshaft and camshaft positions but it is not brining on the management light which is my only indication that they have jumped other than my keen ear before it is too late!

Thanks Boardboy

0 0 0

4. Re: Cam Chain Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You need to pin and plate it first to see if anything is out. We have a similar issue with a 1.4 TFSI Golf 5 we have inherited because the owner could not pay the bill. The chain has been done with new guides and tensioner but it still stores a G40/G28 correlation code but drives fine and no light, the only obvious issue is that it sounds like a bag of bolts at start up but this goes after a few seconds, the cam variator was not replaced andc we think it is faulty. When you pin and plate it, the cams look to be slightly out but not by a whole tooth and you can move them back into position.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0