Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert1z View Post
    If you look at the second and third pictures that I posted it shows the old arm against the new one. The ball joint ends are quite different on both of them. One was just far too wide to slot down as its is much thicker than the original (picture 3) and the other one looks too thin (picture 2) unless I am being really stupid.
    Luckily I left one side alone and took pictures as a reference so I could reassemble.
    The alloy knuckle has a steel insert pressed into it where the ball joint fits in, I assume as alloy and steel don't play well together chemically and maybe also to help prevent damage from the ball joint to the knuckle if it moves about.

Is it possible that the steel insert has come out of the alloy knuckle and is still on the ball joint taper?

If the sides are parallel then I would think it has. ***Edit - I just looked at your pictures again, I'm sure the steel insert has come out and is still attached to your ball joint taper, you will need to get that off intact and have it reinserted back into the knuckle, knowing Audi it probably only comes as a whole unit!***

I bought my kit from eBay, it was £136 delivered and I have no issues with the quality of it, make sure you find the correct one for your model, the seller has many listings, send him your reg and VIN to confirm.

#16 mm CONTROL ARMS SET KIT FL Audi A6 C5 VW Passat B5 B5.5 A4 RS4 Skoda 2000+ | eBay
    2003 A6 C5 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant (180bhp)

1 0 0

2. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Davros View Post
    The alloy knuckle has a steel insert pressed into it where the ball joint fits in, I assume as alloy and steel don't play well together chemically and maybe also to help prevent damage from the ball joint to the knuckle if it moves about.

Is it possible that the steel insert has come out of the alloy knuckle and is still on the ball joint taper?

If the sides are parallel then I would think it has. ***Edit - I just looked at your pictures again, I'm sure the steel insert has come out and is still attached to your ball joint taper, you will need to get that off intact and have it reinserted back into the knuckle, knowing Audi it probably only comes as a whole unit!***

I bought my kit from eBay, it was £136 delivered and I have no issues with the quality of it, make sure you find the correct one for your model, the seller has many listings, send him your reg and VIN to confirm.

#16 mm CONTROL ARMS SET KIT FL Audi A6 C5 VW Passat B5 B5.5 A4 RS4 Skoda 2000+ | eBay

Right! Well spotted. Thanks. I shall try and get this off later and inspect. That would account for it looking a strange shape. I still had the wrong size ball joint cone size. I have ordered another Febi kit (before i read this) I did look at other cheaper kits and read a few horror stories about cheaper kits and did not want to take the risk , how long has it been on the car? If the next kit does not fit I may well give that a whirl as it is a lot cheaper than the big name brand kits.

0 0 0

3. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Right! Well spotted. Thanks. I shall try and get this off later and inspect. That would account for it looking a strange shape. I still had the wrong size ball joint cone size. I have ordered another Febi kit (before i read this) I did look at other cheaper kits and read a few horror stories about cheaper kits and did not want to take the risk , how long has it been on the car? If the next kit does not fit I may well give that a whirl as it is a lot cheaper than the big name brand kits.
    Hi Robert,

My kit has been fitted only a few weeks, I didn't go for the more expensive kits as I only drive minimal mileage around town, probably less than 2000m p/a so I took a punt on that kit as it will likely outlast my ownership of the car, it seems very well made I have to say and had no issues with it or the fitting - apart from initially fitting the first front lower arm upside down! hehe

The car drives like new, very smooth.

0 0 0

4. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Small update..
    The kit fits! I have both lower arms fitted one side and bolt loose for upper control arm.
    I have "had a go" at loosening the top bolt for upper arm on the other side and wish i had not watched a youtube video of i guy removing the bolt, snapping the head off one side, saying no problem just add washers behind the nut on the other end and pull bolt through backwards. He didn't say what to do when bothe ends were snapped?
    Ha! Ha! Why o why didn't i just heat it up. Damn you YouTube!
    Hack saw / drill job now, im taking the whole hub off when i get a minute.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I snapped my bolt off too on the N/S, the O/S came out with some persuasion and some WD40 'Yellow' penetrating oil but the N/S wouldn't budge, even with heat from a propane torch - not a prayer!

Alloy and steel does not play well together, it welds itself to one another with corrosion.

You don't need to take the knuckle off but if you take the steering joint out the knuckle will swing around enough to get a drill into the bolt, I found it best to drill from the front bumper side of the wheelarch as this is the best angle to drill straight, start with a 5mm pilot drill and slowly work your way through the bolt and keep checking the angle, then jump to 8mm then 9mm and finally 10mm if it still hasn't released. Keep spraying penetrating oil and lever the pinch joints apart occasionally and it will eventually go.

absolute PITA job!

Good luck!

IMG_9674.jpg

1 0 0

6. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for that tip. That's the next job.
    I got the passenger side off but it was a carry on...
    I got the bolt turning on the passenger side but it would draw out until it was braced against something so I used some spanners (Youtube all is forgiven).
    I have ordered two new shocks also in for a penny!20180714_112500.jpg20180714_113853.jpg

0 0 0

7. Re: Bottom Control suspension arm kit and sizes 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for that tip. That's the next job.
    I got the passenger side off but it was a carry on...
    I got the bolt turning on the passenger side but it would draw out until it was braced against something so I used some spanners (Youtube all is forgiven).
    I have ordered two new shocks also in for a penny!20180714_112500.jpg20180714_113853.jpg

Hi Robert,

I levered the bolt out slightly with a prybar then put an adjustable spanner on the bolt shaft behind the hex head and tightened it to the shaft of the bolt - then whacked it with a lump hammer, it came out with persuasion.

Some grease monkey had rounded off the head of the bolt with an air gun, bent the bolt like a banana! I had to file the flats of the bolt head so the next size spanner would fit, another pig of a job that took 4 hours but got there in the end.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123