Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, hoping someone can help with this sad tale:

I took my 55-plate 2.0 TDI into a local garage to have the head gasket changed. Some weeks later (long story...) I got the car back, but now the yellow power steering light and the traction control lights are on permanently. When I queried this / asked them to put it right, the (rather arsey) mechanic there denied any culpability and simply said "Your rear ABS sensor AND steering module have both gone; it's a common fault" and just walked off...!!

Surely this is not just coincidence?? I have asked the well-known search engine, and it told me, "If your battery has been disconnected, try the old "full left lock, full right lock, drive it straight slowly for a bit" trick", which I did, but it hasn't turned the power steering light out... Also I notice that the power steering is now heavier, and doesn't self-centre as easily as before.

I haven't even got to researching the traction control issue yet...

Please can anyone advise:

1. Is it really conceivable for these faults to randomly occur simultaneously, whilst the garage has had it, and for it to be nothing to do with the work they have done?
    2. Any other tips / ideas how to fix the power steering issue?
    3. Ditto the traction control fault?
    4. Where do I stand legally in terms of getting these faults sorted by a competent garage (no way in hell I'm taking it back there...) and getting the original bunch of charlatans to foot the bill...?

Many thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.0 TDI power steering and traction control fault lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    you need to get the standing faults diagnosed with a fault code scan, have they been cleared and come back? maybe the garage has already done this to be able to tell you the rear ABS sensor and steering module have gone. It is perfectly feasible for the these faults to come on when the battery is disconnected for a period of time, they could well have been there previously as latent faults or 'pending codes'. disconnecting the battery is unavoidable as no one would do a cylinder head with the battery still connected. What if you'd flattened or changed the battery yourself ? those faults would have probably still have come up.
    The ABS sensor (if it is that at fault) is not related to work on the cylinder head, neither is the steering rack fault, they are both the type of faults that could appear on any 13 year old mk5. Have a look at the state of your reluctor rings on the rear hubs, you'll probably see the plastic cover is blistering out and rubbing on the ABS tip.
    I doubt you stand anywhere legally trying to get this garage to foot any further costs. It's part of the PITA of owning an older (or any) car.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2.0 TDI power steering and traction control fault lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the information / advice. I do recall said mechanic muttering something about "it's a permanent fault", so does suggest that he had cleared it and they had just reappeared. So I guess I'm looking at replacing the ABS sensor (which I do accept is a common fault; I had the same thing on my 02 Audi A4) and the power steering control module...? Any further advice on where to source these / how to confirm that these are indeed the parts at fault would also be very gratefully received...?

Unfortunately I don't have a code reader, however a mate of mine does, so I'll see if he has the right software / version to extract the fault codes...

Many thanks once again.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.0 TDI power steering and traction control fault lights 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    See if you can find someone with VCDS to do a full scan of all the vehicle modules, a generic code reader will likely just pick up the engine unless it is a higher spec reader. I've heard that the electric steering racks can fail, but it could be due to something simpler, Don't start changing parts without good diagnostics.

0 0 0