Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Trying to get to the bottom of an issue on my A3, looked at other posts on the net and none quite the same as this, but recently, what I think is my gearbox has started making a flapping type noise when in 4th gear under load mainly but also when just rolling in gear.

Its much louder in 4th than in 6th although obviously road noise etc is louder in 6th at speed. But does not appear in any other gear, including 2nd, which I think is on the same shaft in the box as 4th and 6th?

It goes away when the clutch is pressed and seems to get less apparent as speed increases (again more noise may mask this). I honestly thought it was a panel or something loose in the engine bay as it sounds like something flapping around, but I can't imagine that would be isolated to two gears and when clutch is not pressed! Fearing the worst and so is my bank balance, but wanted to see if anyone had any simple checks or ideas before I reluctantly go to a garage. The cars done just over 72k, so is a baby in the scheme of these cars.

Will get underneath it at the weekend to trouble shoot, but any ideas are welcome.
    2003 - Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI Sport
    +
    2000 - VW Bora 2.0SE - Currently fixing up to be moved on!

0 0 0

2. A3 8P 2009 2.0TDI Sport - Flapping noise in 4th and 6th gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does any one have a snapshot or drawing of the gearbox for my car, just to see how it’s configured and see why it might be 4th and 6th this noise happens on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 8P 2009 2.0TDI Sport - Flapping noise in 4th and 6th gears 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update in the hope someone can help, can’t see any evidence of the gearbox leaking, everything around it looks sound, so my fears are probably confirmed that this is internal to the gearbox.

Two questions though,

1. Is this hole in the crank casing supposed to be open?

2. Is an amount of play in the end of the gear selector cable normal? I just wonder if when in 4th and 6th this can move around. Doesnt explain the noise stopping when the clutch is depressed though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +

0 0 0