Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Audi Hill Hold Assist Retrofit - Disappointing Result!

1. Cool Audi Hill Hold Assist Retrofit - Disappointing Result! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello All,
    It is now October 2020 and I have lived with the AHHA for over two years now and can report that the AHHA is so convienient and comfortable to use that I have changed the default setting for my start/stop to be in the off position (via VCDS) during normal operation and switched on manually via the dash switch when required, usual during longer waiting traffic scenarios. This has had a marginal effect on fuel consumption,m mainly because my commute is failry smooth running with very short stops if any. I would suspect the engine starter system prefers this set-up also due to overral less wear and tear.

As a norm now I leave the car running when coming to short stops (traffic lights, mild traffic delays etc.) and simply take my foot off all pedals, which I might add is more comfotable. This also helps when you are trying to pull out of junctions because you can place your foot over the accelerater instead of holding the brake.
    Note: the brakes lights are off when AHHA is enabled so if you are at the back of a queue of traffic I would still place my foot on the brake also to ensure brake lights are on.

Also another feature of AHHA users may not be aware of, is that unlike the park brake which puts the rear brakes on only, AHHA applies the brakes to all four wheels when active, so can be considered much safer in certain road conditions.

Would I add this option to any future car purchase most definately.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========
    I thought I would share my recent disappointment after retrofitting AHHA (Audi Hill Hold Assist) to my 2013 A5 3.0TDI Automatic S-Tronic.
    The feature works as expected and I see the GREEN (P) in the dash when the car comes to a halt and it automaically applies the brakes via the ABS, even when I remove my foot from the brake pedal and does not release until I touch the accelerator pedal - All Good!
    Until you realise as soon as you remove your foot from the brake pedal the START/STOP deactivates and the engine starts because the start/stop feature on my year and model of car is activated and deactivated by the brake pedal only and not the throttle as in some newer cars

UPDATE: Just realised the following feature! If the car is stationary with the AHHA activated and the Start/Stop activated in engine off mode and you move the gear selector to P you are then able to remove your foot from the brake pedal without the car starting the engine. AHHA remains active and engine off. To then move-off you need to put foot on brake pedal and select D as normal remove foot off brake pedal engine starts (start/stop deactivated) and then press accelerator for AHHA to deactivate. All sounds very complicated I know!?

This really does take away the gloss of the AHHA feature, nowing that the engine will start as soon as you take your foot off the pedal and even though you are assured it will not move because AHHA is active, it still seems ridiculous that it is idling away for no reason, unless I go back to putting the car in P and EPB (electronic park brake) on! or sit there with my foot on the brake as before!

Apparently this behaviour between the AHHA and start/stop cannot be changed even via VCDS codeing, unless someone out there knows different PLEASE!?

OK RANT OVER!!
    Last edited by sanstorm999; 24-10-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: New info
    Audi S5 3.0TFSI 354 Quattro Sportback 8sp Tiptronic 2018

0 0 0