1. Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I've been meaning to ask Audi since I bought my BiTDI new in 2015 about the lane assist feature which is meant to vibrate the steering wheel.

I have never felt it vibrate, so wanted to find out if it is noticeable over the general engine/road vibration?

The car is booked in for next week for its first MOT and to reprogram the air suspension control unit for which I accidentally wiped the adaptations (see my other thread for details), so will get them to look at it then. I had found an option in OBDEleven to test the steering wheel vibration, but it didn't actually do anything so it looks like it has never worked or I'm somehow not noticing it.

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I don't remember well for the settings, but maybe this feature was never enabled in your car? Have You checked the settings in the MMI menu?
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    It says it is there...

20180616_135258_2.jpg

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Definitely noticeable but only when you cross the line without indicating. Once you cross the line it stops. You do need to turn it on with the button on the end of the stalk (I think, it's been a while since I got rid of mine)
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Yep - there's a button on the end of the left stalk that toggles lane detection off and on. When it's on you should see a yellow or green lane indicator in the dash - yellow when it can't detect you're in a lane and green when it can. If you don't see the indicator in the dash it means it's toggled to the off position.

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    That's the Lane Assist button which I am aware of, and that is what moves the steering wheel to keep the car in the lane. If I don't take control the car beeps at me, and that is when I'm expecting the steering wheel to vibrate.

Generally in that situation you are driving over cats eyes etc so I was wondering if it was noticeable over all that. I suppose that in order for it to serve its purpose, it has to be, and if that's the case then mine has never worked. That was confirmed by the OBDEleven test which was meant to vibrate the wheel and I felt nothing (when parked).

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    First post so be gentle

I too have recently bought a Bi-TDI with lane assist and I believe the system steers the car back in to the lane instead of the steering wheel vibration which may be for different variants.

I am happy to be wrong but the car steering i took to be instead of the 'vibration'

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldboater View Post
    First post so be gentle

I too have recently bought a Bi-TDI with lane assist and I believe the system steers the car back in to the lane instead of the steering wheel vibration which may be for different variants.

I am happy to be wrong but the car steering i took to be instead of the 'vibration'
    Interesting thought... I hadn't even considered that because I took it to be both keep the car in the lane and then vibrate+beep if I've not woken up. If you don't take control after it's tried to steer a few times, it sounds the alarm because it assumes you've fallen asleep and that is when I expect it to vibrate.

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Wheel Vibration Function 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baldboater View Post
    First post so be gentl]I believe the system steers the car back in to the lane instead of the steering wheel vibration which may be for different variants.
    I think, these features are connected together.

The lane assists works as it was mentioned, so it keeps the car in the lane. However, this is not an autonomous driving, so you can override the settings. And IMHO this is the only time when you will feel the vibration. So if you will see the green signal on the instrument cluster, then will the steering wheel vibrate if you try to change a lane without using your turn signals, and this is exactly the same period, when the car is able to keep the lane on it's own.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 0 0