Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Have been a long term viewer of the forum, previously owned an A3 saloon and managed to find plenty of answers on here when needed - Fantastic info and advise, has been really appreciated! Hoping you might be able to help me on this one...

Purchased an A4 saloon back in February and have been very happy with it, apart from one annoying issue...

There appears to be a creaking/tapping noise coming from the rear, around the parcel shelf/D pillar trims area. Having asked passengers in the back where they think the noise is coming from, nearly all of them have said it sounds like it's behind the near side D pillar trim.

I've spent quite a while searching for possible fixes, came across this thread - A4 B9 Creaking from rear , but never really managed to find a definitive answer regarding what needs to be done to remedy the noise.

The noise uploaded in this recording is pretty much spot on to what I'm getting - Audi A4 B9 Rear Windows Rattle - Clyp

Also managed to find some possible TSB numbers - 2046397/1, 10091076, A641639 2046 - Unfortunately, although the titles of those TSBs include something along the lines of 'Creaking from rear', then don't elaborate on what the Audi technician would need to do to solve the fault.

Think a lot of people took their cars straight back to Audi when the fault appeared, and as they were still under warranty, the fix was sorted there and then. Having checked with the Audi garage where I purchased the A4 from, they confirmed that rattles are only covered for the first year of warranty, any investigation work and fixes would now be chargeable.

Decided a few weeks ago to try and track down the noise myself. Removed the D pillar trims and parcel shelf - Managed to find a few clips/fixings that were loose, applied some foam tape to stop them moving. The sub bolts also got tightened as they weren't overly tight. However the next day on the way to work, the noise reappeared pretty much straight away, no difference in frequency (Was hoping I may of at least dulled the noise slightly).

So that's about where I'm at. Have taken some photos to see if you kind people might be able to pinpoint the bits I need to be looking at - From the descriptions that some people have given, there's some sort of fixing above the D pillar trim, going into the roof lining that rubs against the rear glass, but I can't find anything that looks like it could be rubbing? Have circled a popper/fixing in red, does anyone know if that's the offending piece?

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

Would really appreciate any info or guidance on this, absolutely love driving the car, but the noise is driving me mad!

Thanks for your time,

Gareth

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have experienced similar tapping type sounds from the rear and although I have had a general look around to see if there is anything obvious have not found anything yet. Interested to read your findings so far and looking on other forums it seems to be a not uncommon complaint.
    I have also noticed that it is more noticeable when the outside temperature is between about 8°C - 15°C. When its hotter it seems to go away and I don't remember noticing it during the colder weather either.
    If I can't find a solution I will probably wait until the next service is due and ask the dealer to look into it then, although like many intermittent noises it'll probably be not doing it on that day!
    You've obviously been more determined than me to try to track it down, so if you get any further I would be very interested to know what you did. I wasn't brave enough to pull the C (or is it D?) pillar trims off as you show in your photos. How did you manage that without damaging them?

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same here regarding temperature, mine has stopped now that it's warmed up, didn't do it when it was really cold either.
    Current : 2017 A4 1.4TFSI Black Edition, S-Tronic, Tech Pack, Adaptive Suspension, Matrix LED Headlights, Daytona Grey Pearl
    Previous #1 : 2014 A4 2.0 TDI S-Line 177, Ibis White, Interior Light Pack, AMI, Flat-bottom Steering Wheel
    Previous #2 : 2008 A4 2.0 TDI 143, Lava Grey, 19" RS4 Alloys, AMI, B&O, Storage Pack

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Been noticing this more of late in the mornings and I am increasingly wondering if it is not really a trim related issue at all but more something to do with the actual rear glass itself, or the installation of it, and relates to expansion and contraction.

Been having a good look around the roof lining and where it meets the rear glass, but have never found anything that reproduces the ticking noise. Even tried checking the rear interior light but I don't think this has anything to do with it. You can fairly easily feel where the glass is bonded to the metal of the roof and there is nothing that feels like it would cause a tapping or clicking noise. Also tried removing the rear centre brake light in case that had anything to do with it, but it made no difference.

In my case when it is very hot you don't hear it, but the following morning, when the temperature might still be 17°, but had been maybe 30° the previous day, then it is noticeable for awhile. So I think it is more related to temperature difference, which of course has been happening a lot of late.
    David S.

Audi A4 (B9) Saloon S line 2.0 TDI 190 PS S tronic - Scuba Blue

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Finally sorted this annoying issue.

Decided to remove both D pillars & parcel shelf (which is not too tricky if you use plastic trim removal tools, not screwdrivers) and of course, as the OP said above, the noise still occurs.

So I closely examined the plastic location pins that you can see in the OPs picture and found that, in my case at least, they seemed to be adhered to the metal of the car. With some gentle pressure using a flat screwdriver I levered the metal around them away from the plastic base of the pin, at which point there was a loud crack! For a minute I thought I had broken the glass, but this was only the sound of the "seal" between the paint and the plastic base of the pin. Did the same on both sides then snapped the pins off too to make doubly sure that there was no contact between body and pins.

So the issue was the expansion/contraction of the metal body causing a binding on these plastic location pins (which serve no purpose once the window is installed).

Hope someone else finds this useful if they have the same problem.

0 2 0

6. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi, I have an A4 Avant that makes a very annoying creaking noise I have been trying to track down to no avail so I decided to ask on this site and came across your interesting thread.
    The creaking noise seems to come from the rear of the car as you state above but I assume your 4 is not an Avant.
    Any other ideas? I thought it was the roof panel creaking.
    I'll pop off the rear tailgate trims and have a look to see it there are any of those pins in the tailgate.
    Cheers.

Update, I have had a quick look but was unable to remove the C post cover or the tailgate window surrounding cover. Are they just a very firm push fit? I do have a trim removed tool but was not happy using too much force without knowledge.

I have out one of those Chassis Ear Listening kits which I used to track down a couple of rattles in my Jag. One was the A posts having a poor weld causing an irritating clicking sound at certain angles and the other turned out to be the plastic gaiters on the front shock absorbers not being a tight fit on the top mounts. I changed the damper bottom bushes before I bought the Chassis Ear then one of the shocks which is how I found the loose gaiter!

Rattles and clicks are very irritating so any help here will be gratefully received.

Update 2. Having now listened to the recording on here which sounds to me like an old fashioned typewriter, this is not the same creaking sound I am hunting. I have lubed all the door rubbers with special rubber lube to no avail. I think the sound is from two panels rubbing together when the car is on the move so I have pushed all I can reach whilst the Mrs is driving but not found the problem area yet. It seemed to go away when the sunroof was open so I lubed all those rubbers too but the creak returned. I have tightened up all the screws holding on the panels and transit eyes but it STILL creaks!

The only help I get from her of the indoors is to turn the radio up or chill out!

All tips, regarding the creaking, are welcome.
    Last edited by Stagnite; 13-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.
    2014 Audi A4 Avant S Line AWD Blue 45k miles plus several Jags.

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes mine is a saloon, B9 model. From the date of yours I'm guessing it is a B8/B8.5?
    Probably makes no difference as the assembly methods for the glass panels will be mostly the same I would think.

Yes the rear D pillar trims are held on quite tightly and I had several abortive goes before I plucked up the courage to use enough force to remove them. I didn't want to damage them, but by this time I had exhausted everything else and I was convinced it was to do with the glass and body joint.
    Have you tried getting someone to press outwards on the glass when driving and the noise is evident?
    Ambient temperature made a big difference for me too as to whether you could hear it or not. In hot conditions you couldn't hear it, but in cooler, not cold, conditions you could hear it a lot.

In my case there was a plastic clip on one side and then two metal clips in the middle. I took a good look at spare parts on ebay first as often the pictures show what they are like on the underside, so you can see what the fixing method is.
    I used the trim removal tools too, but also used body weight to remove them, by lowering the rear seats, sitting with my legs in the boot and getting my fingers in the gaps on the sides, once the first clip (nearest the side window) had been released with the trim tool.
    Of course yours will be different as it is an Avant, mine is the saloon, but I would think access is better for you.
    I also suspected the roof lining and tried all sorts to insulate it. I even removed the high level brake light in case it was that.

The issue is not specifically the plastic location pins but more to do with how they are adhered to the metal body I think. Breaking the seal between them and the metal before snapping them off is the key. It's nearly a year since I did mine and it hasn't come back.

I know from another forum https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-b9-creaking-tapping-noise-from-rear.374654/#post-3373323 which seems more active than this one, other owners have solved the issue in the same way.

Hope this helps you.
    David S.

0 1 0

8. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi David,
    Than you for your reply.

This is a shot of my Audi. I am not sure which model it is though i.e. B9?
    I had a go at removing the B post trim this morning but gave up after a real fight to pull it off, afraid that I would bust it! However, I have now removed all the trim from the tailgate so I could have a good look for the glass alignment pins you speak of but there are none. Perhaps the tailgate is assembled off the car on a bench or similar so the lrobot can locate the glass position using another method - it does protrude at the sides.
    Having removed the rear trim panels I am going to see if the creaking remains or has gone so perhaps its a good thing that the B post trumps are still insitu. One panel at a time will help identify which area the creak is coming from.

I did notice that a pair of wires that lead to the HRW have been squashed by the trim against the window frame so it could be them that creak. Time will tell.

The link to the other forum was interesting, thanks for that too.

Neville

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Neville,

Yours is a B8.5, bascially a FL B8.
    The B9 was from late 2015 onwards I tihnk, and is the current model, although there is a FL for MY2020 about to become available later this year I believe.

Is it Scuba blue? If not it looks very similar to it. Mine is too, nice alternative to all the boring black/white/grey cars that seem so popular now.

It might not be the same noise that you're chasing I suppose. The one I had was really more like someone tapping on the glass, very brittle sounding.
    And what was weird was that it had nothing to do with going over bumps. Normally rattles and the like sound worse when you drive over a bump or pothole. But this made no difference.
    You could be in traffic, engine running, then move ever so slightly forward over a smooth road and the noise would occur.
    I think most of last summer I kept trying different things as it was driving me nuts and spoiling what was otherwise a great car.
    They guy who started this post confirmed on the other forum that my remedy worked for him, but his was also a B9 saloon.
    Hope you've made some progress now anyway.
    David S.

0 0 0

10. Re: A4 B9 - Creaking / Tapping noise from rear 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jds68 View Post
    Hi Neville,

Yours is a B8.5, bascially a FL B8.
    The B9 was from late 2015 onwards I tihnk, and is the current model, although there is a FL for MY2020 about to become available later this year I believe.

Is it Scuba blue? If not it looks very similar to it. Mine is too, nice alternative to all the boring black/white/grey cars that seem so popular now.

Totally agree about an odd noise spoiling the drive. It does your brain in trying to think what it can be rather than having the radio on and enjoying a relaxing drive.

It might not be the same noise that you're chasing I suppose. The one I had was really more like someone tapping on the glass, very brittle sounding.
    And what was weird was that it had nothing to do with going over bumps. Normally rattles and the like sound worse when you drive over a bump or pothole. But this made no difference.
    You could be in traffic, engine running, then move ever so slightly forward over a smooth road and the noise would occur.
    I think most of last summer I kept trying different things as it was driving me nuts and spoiling what was otherwise a great car.
    They guy who started this post confirmed on the other forum that my remedy worked for him, but his was also a B9 saloon.
    Hope you've made some progress now anyway.
    Yes, its Scuba Blue manual with AWD and a sun roof VIN FA010928. I bought it when it was 6 months old with 6,500 miles on the clock for £26,500 which has just rolled over 50K. Its been a brilliant car apart from just a few niggles which are on this forum. Apart form the creaking noise, one headlamp washer developed a leak which I seem to have cured and the irritating change of the demist default settings which seemed to have changed after it went in for a recall to have the supplementary heater changed in case it caught fire!

The creak seems to occur when going slowly over speed humps and other road issues causing the car to "twist". Anyway, time will tell now I have removed some panels in the tailgate.

Probably not too popular leaving them in the dining room lol

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast