Notices

User Tag List

Thread: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare!

1. B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys, any help would be much appreciated!

The boot randomly opens by itself. I have got it down to the following scenarios now.

Driving: opens randomly and then the esp and brake warning come on the dash also.

Stationary: the boot opens when I unlock the car with the first click.

In the car after closing the boot but stationary: boot catch opens when I turn the heater blower on and then the steering column defective light comes on also.

It’s at a point where I can’t lock the car as the boot opens when I click to lock the car with the remote.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance! I was recovered from London to Cornwall, garage said the charging system was low as it was parked at heathrow for a few weeks, yet it started right up just fine.

It’s been a week, I’ve driven to Wales no problem, then all of a sudden today while driving along a small lane, ping goes the boot catch again and the brake warning light! Now the above scenarios are there all the time, I’ve disconnected the battery to reset the ECU but nothing changes. The battery is 12.6v without engine, 14.0v with it running. I can switch all the lights on etc and it doesn’t effect anything but the blower or the door locks make the boot catch go mad and then the steering fault comes on!

Help me before I lose it!! 🤪

Phill.

0 0 0

2. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Try and get a full vehicle scan, could be a problem with you convenience module or maybe just the boot lid switch. If your battery is pretty old then that could also be a problem, albeit separate from you boot lid.
    comfort control unit - Page 2

0 0 0

3. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Rob69.

I’m nervous to drive the thing but will try and limp it the nearest VW dealer!

Where is the convience unit located? The boot lock was replaced recently as it wouldn’t open at all.

Do you have any idea of cost to replace and recode a conv. Unit?

Thanks.

0 0 0

4. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    get it scanned first before worrying about the convenience module location, the lock and the switch are different components, fault may be just the switch.

0 0 0

5. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again Rob69.

I towed our caravan to Wales so I’m kinda stranded. Green flag towed me just over a week ago for similar fault so not even sure if they will come out again! Just wanted to check the connections on the ccm at least. It feels like a bad connection or bad earth. If I use the blower and draw power it starts going crazy everywhere else etc... I will try and drive it to the dealer, the steering fault is what fears me as when this comes on, sometimes the engine dies.

I I’ll ask the garage what they replaced last week to see if they did the switch too.

It all started with the boot.

Driving to heathrow the boot opened on the M4. Along with the esp light. Pulled off and the lights went out on the restart but the boot wouldn’t open at all from any switch, totally dead. Drove another two hours to London and the car was fine.

Flew back in a few weeks later and this crap with steering fault and engine cutting out and heater coming on and off whenever it felt like it.

Green flag came out, said it was the charging system and not save to drive.

Get home and garage said yes the charging system was low, heater resistor was blown and the boot latch replaced.

Drove around local for three days and then 2-1/2 hours to Wales with the caravan no problem. Then driving around local here for about 30 mins or so and we hit a speed bump in a lane and boom... here we go again!! Charging system is working ok. It feels like something is loose. Makes sense because by the time we got towed (bounced) back to Cornwall the first time the fault had disappeared. Hence the garage just agreeing with green flag!

I wish VW would scan it here because you know if I drive to the dealer the fault would have rectified itself again!

Arggggg electrical gremlins!!

Thanks again for hearing me out Rob69.

0 0 0

6. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    convenience module is behind the glove box AFAIK, doubt you'll see anything obvious though. try disconnecting the boot switch and getting the battery tested.

0 0 0

7. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I disconnected the boot switch and the car went dead, no fob, no ignition. The switch looks brand new to be fair, so I believe they changed it.

Plugged it back in and same faults.

Had a play under the glove box, found a big plug with fairly thick wires, assuming it was the ccm I wiggled the plug on tight and flexed the surrounding loom. Looked at the dash and all the faults had vanished and the yellow steering light and esp light were on after starting the engine, similar to after a ecu reset, I drove forward and both lights went out, everything back to normal. Drove a 3 hour round trip today and stopped 3 or 4 times, no problems!! Maybe it was a loose plug connection or loom, maybe I’m not that lucky and the fault will return at some point! Until then I’m not touching a thing 😬😂

Thanks again to Rob69.

Regards, Phill.

0 0 0

8. Re: B6 Passat estate, electrical nightmare! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    ok touch wood !!

0 0 0