Hi,

Whilst wringing the neck (well into the redline) of my A6 2.0TDi CR CAHA 170bhp the other day it suddenly lost power and sounded as if the exhaust / air box pipe had come off. and I could feel a vibration under my feet by the pedals.

I thought at the very least I've split an intercooler pipe or something. The car then stood for an hour or so and when I went back to it the faults had gone?? I gingerly drove home making sure not to go past 3000 rpm just in case there was a split under hard acceleration. After removing all of the covers I checked all pipes, exhaust etc everything was in order. I also did a scan and there wasn't any codes logged either.

So I had no alternative than to take it out and give it a bit of stick, not as much as when the problem occurred but hard acceleration in 1st, 2nd & 3rd again with no issues. Done over 100 miles since with no problems. I would rather have found a problem and rectified it but there wasn't anything there to fix, that I could see.

My questions are:
Has anyone had a similar issue?.
Is there a safety mechanism / blow off valve where it shuts you down when your flat out and in danger of damaging the engine?

Thanks,

Woz