Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hi

I have had my Etron, less than three months and which has only done 1500 miles, mostly on EV, locally.

Yesterday when my wife drove home, I noticed it was running on the diesel engine.

When I checked, it would not go into EV mode and the emission control warning light was on.

My local Audi dealer (Stoke) could not fit me in for diagnostics until 29th May, so I called Audi breakdown.

They sent a guy out this morning from VAG breakdown services, run by the AA.

He checked the fault code and said it was an "Electric motor clutch message failure". This had shut down the EV side and displayed the emission control warning. No other faults.

According to his system, this error code has not been reported before in the UK. Apparently, when codes get reported three times, Germany is informed and a technical bulletin/fix is issued. Nothing there, at the moment, so he did not have a clue what the problem might be.

He said, if it was a component failure, it would be very unlikely that anyone carries the spare part.

He cleared the fault, but it came straight back.

He phoned his technical support who confirmed that it should be alright to continue using the vehicle. It will just work in diesel mode all the time.

We are planning to leave for a two month trip in France next Thursday. He thought that nobody would let me have a replacement car for two months, to take to France. I can live with diesel only.

I was then able to to speak to a friendly service manager in Stoke (I used to have my A6 serviced there) who agreed to book the car in next Wednesday for a check. Apparently it takes two hours to isolate the car and they only have a couple of EV trained technicians.

I am hoping that it might only be a loose cable which they can fix. If not, I shall want them to return the car so I can travel and then book it in for repair after our trip.

Strange, What?

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hi
    An update, for those that might be interested.

The dealer found the same fault code and a blown 30a fuse for the electric motor. He could find no obvious problem and there was no bulletin for this fault. He changed the fuse and I drove out of there on electric power without the warning light.

About 3 miles further on, at the third set of traffic lights, when I put my foot down gently, there was a jolt, warning messages and I was back on the diesel engine. No electric power and the warning light was back on.

As we were leaving for France, the next day, nothing could be done. We drove over without any further issues on the diesel engine. Fuel consumption is suffering as we cannot use the recovered energy.

We are over here for 8 weeks, after which she will go in for extensive testing.

The dealer looks after six other Q7 etrons, which have had no problems. My luck!
    Last edited by papadelta; 05-06-2018 at 05:37 AM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Trust it works out OK, keep us updated. As there are only very few e-tron's in Dublin, I am keen to learn as much as possible.

Enjoy France :-)

0 0 0

4. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Indeed, best of luck in getting this resolved. Let us know how it goes!

Andy
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

5. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papadelta View Post
    Apparently it takes two hours to isolate the car and they only have a couple of EV trained technicians.
    Goodness me! Is this just to let the car sit there while it discharges? Do they charge 2 hours labour for that (Audi main dealer prices + VAT = )? I hope not!

0 0 0

6. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    God help poor sods like us that will have to work on these things when they are out of warranty and on their third owner who can only just afford the repayments never mind two hours to just power down the high voltage side and two more to power it back up, that’s typically £400 pounds to just turn it off and on again, total insanity! I think I am going to refuse to work on them but some idiot will take a chance and get zapped.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    An update:

We got over to France four weeks ago, without any problems, using diesel only as the electric motor was still dead. Fuel consumption suffered!

After we had been here a week, the air conditioning failed. The fan was running but the a/c button would not lock on. I checked some of the fuses but could not find one that had blown.

While we can live without the electric drive, we could not manage in the summer heat without aircon. I called Audi UK and they agreed that I could take the car to an Audi dealer here in France.

I took it to Meaux to the east of Paris and explained the problems; aircon, electric drive and the emission warning light. As we are on a barge cruising around Paris, I said they could have it for two weeks.

10 days later, I got an email from them saying that it was fixed and that I should come and collect it. I asked what they had done/replaced and they replied:

We replaced the fuse that powers the electronic part of the gearbox. We controlled the voltages, the power supplies, we also controlled the connectors, as well as the electric lugs.
    Everything is good, no problem found.
    We did a rehab of the electrical management of your vehicle.We also tried your vehicle, and the fuses are still intact.

I got a train back to Paris and then out to Meaux. They had also charged the vehicle. No paperwork to sign and I just drove away.
    A week later, and everything is running fine. Fuel consumption has shot up due to recovery. I have even managed to charge the vehicle for free on a roadside point in Briare!

Who said the French are useless?

Fingers crossed. I have not yet cancelled my appointment at our local Audi dealer in UK for when we return in three weeks, just in case.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

1 2 0

8. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Further update:

The car ran well for three weeks around France.

On driving back to UK, the EV mode failed again.

Fortunately, I still have the car booked in at Stoke Audi next week.

It has cost me a lot more money for diesel to travel to France and back. The hybrid mode makes a lot of difference to consumption. From around 38 to 88 mpg.

I am considerably peed off. I paid a lot extra for the e-tron version.

What do you think are my chances of getting some compensation from Audi?

Cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papadelta View Post
    Further update:

The car ran well for three weeks around France.

On driving back to UK, the EV mode failed again.

Fortunately, I still have the car booked in at Stoke Audi next week.

It has cost me a lot more money for diesel to travel to France and back. The hybrid mode makes a lot of difference to consumption. From around 38 to 88 mpg.

I am considerably peed off. I paid a lot extra for the e-tron version.

What do you think are my chances of getting some compensation from Audi?

Cheers
    I would say you’ve got a fighting chance of getting some reimbursement, although I’m only going on my experiences with Edinburgh Audi, who are part of the Lookers group, and Audi UK / Executive Office. My car has been in the dealership for four months in total this year. The first time was two months and they sent me a check for £1,000 for my inconvenience. This second, most recent two month stay ended last week when I got the car back - they called me on Wednesday to tell me I will be receiving a cheque for £2,000. I know that the head of business at Edinburgh was pushing very hard for this, and I was pushing him and Audi UK at the same time. I was probably an utter pain in the backside but it seemed to get them focused! Good luck.

1 1 0

10. Re: Q7 etron - Emission Control Warning Light 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Hi again

It would appear that Stoke Audi found the problem causing the fuse to blow, cutting out the electric motor.

I was told that the issue was an assembly fault, in that a control cable for the electric drive was badly positioned, so that it was rubbing on the gearbox, causing a short and a fuse to blow. I understand that they had to drop the gearbox to replace the cable. They rerouted it and improved it’s protection, in the four days they had the vehicle. So much for the French dealer, who had the car for 2 weeks and only replaced the fuse.

Hopefully that is the end of it.

Stoke Audi refused to process a claim for compensation, unless I could produce receipts for the extra diesel I used in France, for the 2000 miles I did over 2 months, without the benefit of hybrid mode. Ridiculous.

I have now taken up the case with Audi customer services.

Presumably, Audi will issue a bulletin, so that if other e-tron owners experience this problem, time will not be wasted looking for a fix.

Cheers

0 1 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast