1. Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Anyone with the BiTdi had a coolant leak? Mine has twice thrown a low coolant warning and noticed that the front of the engine seems to wet with the pink fluid. Hard to pinpoint where its coming from but looks like it might be the coolant up about midway up the front.
    Just wondering if anyone had this issue and what it was before i tear mine down.
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

2. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hmmmm.
    Mine has just today flagged low coolant for the second time too; I topped it up to max a week ago and 4-500 miles later it's taken a litre today.

Haven't had a really close look yet, but I think I could possibly see some coolant on the n/s radiator fan bracket.

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My car developed a coolant leak earlier this year. Turned out to be the EGR valve leaking, its common apparently and not cheap to fix. 3.0L TDI.

0 0 0

4. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Yes, mine had an issue at the turn of the year. Lost over all about 5 litres over a 2 week period. Garage pressure tested everything and said it was fine. Which it has been since, quite bizarre. I've had an independent mechanic check it over and he couldn't find any evidence of leaks (normally leave a residue).
    A6 C7 Allroad 3.0 TDI Biturbo, Oolong Grey, Exclusive Carpets, Exclusive Inlays, Exclusive Leather Sports Seats, Panoramic Roof, 4 Way Climate and 4 Heated Seats, Sports Steering Wheel, Memory Seats, Bose, Cruise, Auto Dimming Folding Mirrors, Blinds, Heat Insulating Privacy Glass, PDC Front and Rear, Rear Camera, Phone Prep High, MMI High, Auto Key, Power Boot, Rear Seat Entertainment Screens, Foldaway Tow Bar, Storage/Luggage Packs.

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Ive got a pro coolant filling system but unfortunately it doesnt double up as a pressure tester unless i drain all the coolant and check if holds a vacuum. I did try it with this and ended up with coolant in my face twice lol.
    anyway washed all traces of coolant from the the engine bay and my face so going to see where it reappears from.
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mine's still losing about a litre of coolant per tankful of fuel.

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Having used around a litre of coolant per tankful of fuel for 5-6 tankfuls, it suddenly stopped using coolant for about 6 months and started again a few weeks ago.

I noticed some pink residue on the inside of the driver's side exhaust tail pipe and feared either a leaking EGR cooler, or seemingly less likely, possibly even a head gasket.
    However, it's reasonably clear that there's a coolant leak around the water pump and I'm hoping this isn't a coincidental secondary leak!
    Can't understand why there would be pink residue around the inside of the tailpipe tho.

Couple of questions if anybody can answer?....

Can the water pump be swapped with the radiator/bumper in situ?

Same water pump as the single turbo V6 Tdi?

TIA.

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Water pump replaced and there was visible evidence indicating the old water pump leaking.

However, I'm still using/losing coolant at approximately the same rate, which is baffling. (1L per tankful of fuel.)

It's showing the signs of coolant leaking around the front of the engine in the water pump area and above.

Could the front engine 'housing' that the pump mounts to be leaking coolant? (I'd guess not.)

Could the EGR cause visible evidence of a coolant leak around the front of the engine?

The exhaust goes into 1 after the DPF and then splits into 2, but the pink residue is deffo only from the driver's side tailpipe.

Any links to or pics of engine component details?

TIA.

Edit: Forgot to add.....

Tried to take some pics today, it's a very busy region tho and they weren't particularly helpful.
    I realise that this is very unlikely, but it really does appear to be possible that the leak could be originating around the area in front of the passenger side cylinder head gasket.

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Coolant flanges, egr valve/cooler, radiator flanges, coolant pipes and oil cooler are some of the places to check. I'm no expert but to find the leak you'll have to rule out each one by one. Lucky it's an external leak so you should find it. Such a shame that such an expensive car with a fancy engine has rookie mistakes. It seems the egr cooler is common on these engines. With there being a tight tolerance for maneuver and a lack of content online to repair these engines it can be tricky. If you can't find it, a reputable VW garage should find it.

0 1 0

10. Re: Coolant leak- BiTdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by morski View Post
    Anyone with the BiTdi had a coolant leak? Mine has twice thrown a low coolant warning and noticed that the front of the engine seems to wet with the pink fluid. Hard to pinpoint where its coming from but looks like it might be the coolant up about midway up the front.
    Just wondering if anyone had this issue and what it was before i tear mine down.
    New to site but have been reading to try and help me solve a similar problem. My 2012 A6 C7 3.0tdi quattro was leaking coolant into the v which gradually went from topping up every couple of months to every trip. I could strip the top of the bloody engine with my eyes closed now, I replaced all gaskets then replaced oil cooler with no improvement it ended up being the coolant regulating valve part number 059121737. The valve leaks from the seal where the spindle goes through. I tested mine with hi tech gear which included a bit of wood an inner tube a bicycle pump and some wood screws and could instantly see the problem that I couldn't see when it was on the car. I hope this helps someone sort their leak out.

0 0 0