Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle.

1. Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello everyone,

My first post so please be gentle.

I have a 2008 A4 2.0 TDI Avant 143 which has developed in the last few weeks with some problems. I am not sure if my problems below are related but the car was in Audi months ago for a brake fluid change and they never said there were any issues with the car.
    My problem is when driving in any gear at around 1200 rpm when I accelerate and not even hard I get a judder, hesitation from the engine as if I was in the wrong gear labouring the engine and the change down indicator on the dash is not illuminated. Even on a flat gradient if you set off in first and then release all pedals for the engine to take the drive it judders like a miss-fire.

I have a strange noise when I rev the engine to around 1200 rpm and let it return to idle. I have uploaded a video if someone can give me some direction to help, please.

<span style="color: rgb(75, 75, 75); font-family: Lato; font-size: 14.6667px;">

Now, this is the strange problem, when I ask for power in 3rd 4th or higher, before the turbo fully spins up it sounds like a large amount of air is either needed, leaking or lag before the turbo kicks in. I will try to record this tomorrow to explain better but you can see from the video, it has all of a sudden coated in dust in the engine bay. Maybe a leak but who knows.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help.

Simon
    Last edited by simon2609; 11-05-2018 at 04:40 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    As I garage owner I do find the initial point of wondering if a brake fluid change months ago could be linked to an engine problem a little frustrating...

The hammering noise is a broken dual mass flywheel and also where the dust is coming from, this can get into the starter motor and cause its failure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    As I garage owner I do find the initial point of wondering if a brake fluid change months ago could be linked to an engine problem a little frustrating...

The hammering noise is a broken dual mass flywheel and also where the dust is coming from, this can get into the starter motor and cause its failure.
    Sorry Crasher, I have just read this back and it sounded like I was blaming Audi when they did the brake fluid change. I should have checked better but was in a rush. I have updated the original post to what I was thinking

As for the hammering noise, I did notice when we had the beast from the east cold spell, when dipping the clutch I would get a rattle noise similar or the same as a thrust release bearing had gone. Not sure if this car has one or they still use the same technology.
    Do you think this is causing the judder as well at low revs?

Is it best to go to Audi for the replacement or can most garages do this work, just I know that when I last had my A4 done at Audi over 10 years ago the bill was over £1200.

0 0 0

4. Re: Laboured engine, Miss-fire, Hesitation? and strange noise at 1200 rpm to idle. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    You should be able to get an LUK or Sachs DMF and clutch kit fittted for around £900, genuine at Audi will be much more.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0