Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All

Thought I’d share what I’ve done with my car recently. It’s a Black 2008 A6 2.7Tdi Le Mans in otherwise totally standard trim which I’ve owned 7 years now. The car has had its usual ups and downs with various issues, but recently totally fault free and turning 110,000 miles.

The car is in otherwise great condition but the interior trim especially the center console was starting to look a little shabby in places, the usual dings and scratches, so set about buying a rather shoddy used wood interior for £100, which was needed as the trim panels have extra chrome edging to them. I thought about wrapping it, but that would have looked properly awful after a bit of use, so I went for the full 2x2 twill real carbon fibre fabric and resin approach.

I know carbon fibre is not for everyone, but I think it really suits the car, and I’ve tried to keep it as close as possible to OEM C6 carbon interior (which probably cost a ridiiiiculous amount new) I also bought a used dash trim panel and done that in Phantom Black to match the exterior. The finish is really good in all areas, it certainly doesnt look home made, its oven baked and should be sturdy years in to the future.

Fitting was easy enough, a minor breakage on the central air vent, but that’s been replaced.

Not too bad on cost, but heavy on time. Anyway, hope someone likes it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 12.29.28.jpg
    IMG_7042.jpg
    2017 Audi S4 Navarra Blue

1 2 0

2. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Wow mate look amazing if I had the skills I’d love to do something like this would breathe fresh air back into the car. Did you do the back trims too?

0 0 0

3. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, all the panels were done. It really does lift the whole car. Its not that hard to do, but took weeks - thats the real kicker. You couldnt really do it unless you bought a new set to cover, your car would be out of action for too long without a centre console.

The standard silver centre console isnt really suitable to cover, you cant take it apart as its glued together rather than screwed, so the edges would look bad. So wood interior it is, that gives you the chrome edging and proper console. It doesnt really matter on the quality as long as its not actually broken.

I could do another set if anyone is really interested
    2017 Audi S4 Navarra Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    That looks really smart mate. I’ve done hydrodipping for lots of people in the past but this looks way better. Could you share what you bought / used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Audi A7, S-line, 313 PS BiTDI Tiptronic, Daytona Grey, heated front and rear seats, Audi connect, quad zone climate control, ski chute and bag, Rear tints, 75 Litre fuel tank, All LED headlights, Night vision assistant, Rear view camera with corner view, Navigation plus, MMI touch, Heads up display, Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring and active lane assist. Audi A5 (wifes) My Kit car blog - http://mitchsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk

0 0 0

5. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    I did mine for 4£, wrap from ebay and my wifes hairdryer...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Great thread, I've just spent a few hours painting a spare centre console gloss black to refresh it.

Gloss black is a pig of a colour as it shows up even the slightest imperfection, I reckon you'd need at least 5 coats with long drying time and then sanding in between to get a good finish. I gave up after 3 coats and an acceptable finish.

Will post up pictures if anyone is interested?

0 0 0

7. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Post pictures

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 Sedan C6 2.0 TDIe 2011 Condor Grey metallic

0 0 0

8. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    You know the rule, pictures or it never happened

0 0 0

9. Re: Carbon trim. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smaugc6 View Post
    You know the rule, pictures or it never happened
    LOL, ok. As well as being a pig to paint, gloss black is also a pig to photograph *** ideally you should just see a dark reflection of whatever environment you take the picture in. Anyway, here's the best I could do at short notice.

Not sure whether I'm going to fit it to the car as I'm not 100% happy with the finish (although it looks a lot better in the flesh than in the photo).

IMG_20180524_195119.jpg

0 1 0