Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKM_06 View Post
    In the AudiCam video you can see that the needle travels between positive 2 and negative 4 on the little dial. I've just read in depth through that article that Gazwould has posted and it seems to make sense to me. I might well try as the article and FortyPlus have suggested and see if that makes any difference. It will save me a fair amount of money if it works, what have I got to lose!
    Probably thousandths ?

Q7 S Line 272 MY18
    Dayton Grey pearl
    Tech, trailer, Style pack
    Reversing camera
    21 inch Sport Wheels
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0 0 0

2. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I get lots of shudder on mine after using the ACC for any period of time where there are long downhill stretches. It seems to either be overheating or pad material build up. A few very heavy applications from speed seems to clear it up.
    2015 4M Q7, Glacier White, S-Line, Valcona sports seats, B&O, Audi Connect, Panoramic Sunroof, adaptive air suspension, 4WS, Matrix LED headlights, 4 zone climate, active assistance package, 21" Turbine arm wheels, aluminium/oak inlays

0 0 0

3. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    It would be useful to know what the divisions on the dial indicator were. Most engineering metric indicators have 0.01mm divisions .If this type of indicator was used then 2 positive divisions and 4 negative indicates a total run out of 0.06mm which is not a lot and would not cause any braking problems. We need to the know the actual indicator scale to form any opinion on the runout. This value is normally on the instrument dial.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

4. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Old post by the OP so maybe resolved by now, but when they have the dial gauge on the disc face I'm presuming the road wheel is removed - have they bolted the disc back onto the hub with the wheel bolts and washers or are they just relying on the small set screw to hold the disc in place. If the disc is not bolted back onto the hub then the run out could be due to it just being loose against the hub.

0 1 0

5. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob69 View Post
    Old post by the OP so maybe resolved by now, but when they have the dial gauge on the disc face I'm presuming the road wheel is removed - have they bolted the disc back onto the hub with the wheel bolts and washers or are they just relying on the small set screw to hold the disc in place. If the disc is not bolted back onto the hub then the run out could be due to it just being loose against the hub.
    It's difficult to prevent some small movement to disc / suspension when hand turning the disc which causes the indicator needle to move.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

6. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As a follow on from this- my Mar 1st 2018 Q7 ( 3000 miles) has been at the dealers today as i was getting vibration from rear brakes. Master tech came out on test drive with me to confirm issue. Have just had a call from them that they have found issues with rear disc on one side which is out of tolerance. As such rear discs and pads being replaced. Seems like Audi are having some issues with Q7 brakes in general. Looking at AudiWorld it looks like a Technical bulletin has been issued about squeaky front brakes. New pads etc are being fitted across the pond. Perhaps Audi UK might be aware?

0 0 0

7. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the comments folks - having squinted at the Audi cam footage it appears that each division on the dial is 0.01mm, however, the advisory report that they provided with the inspection states 6mm deviation! I did the extreme braking tests as mentioned further up the post and this has significantly reduced the shudder, I would suggest it has gone but my wife remains not 100% convinced! Either way while we wait to hear what Audi have to say it's significantly improved drivability, so thanks to all that suggested. Will wait to hear what Audi say but not likely to pay out £1000 for this out of my own pocket!

0 0 0

8. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Good to hear you are making progress

Service Department does not inspire confidence:-( does any?

0 0 0

9. Re: 16 month old Q7 discs warping? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    An update- 6k miles onto new set of discs and pads vibration has returned in the rear. Back into dealers, same master tech confirms run out on discs is out of tolerance. Service Mgr says possibly caused by excessive heat it brakes. I have never been hard on brakes, indeed this is my 7th Audi and never had issues with discs or pads before. Indeed had a A4 on 120k miles still on first set of pads and discs. What is becoming apparent ( based on threads here and on Audi World) is Audi are deaf having issues with Q7 brakes. This is a powerful car so should have a degree of over engineering built in. 6 k on a set of pads and discs before issues start to creep in is ridiculous. Aside from brakes it has been a great car thus far, my fear is that longer term it is going to need a new set every year ( based on average driving). Previous audi's have certainly done the lease period without the requirement. I get this is a heavier car but not excessively more than the A6 Allroad i traded in. that had 60k on it and still plenty on pads all round. Lets hope Audi is looking in to alternative providers of discs and pads.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12