Hi All,

I'm having a starting problem with my 2008 2.7TDI A5, with 145k miles on the clock. It refuses to start when its been sat in the sun for a day, which is around 25-30 Celsius.

when I put the key in it does everything as normal, the full ignition comes on, it checks the dials, glows the glow plugs and then just doesn't start. Doesn't even try to crank.

It doesn't seem to be to do with the gear selector as it registers that it's in Park, and it doesn't seem to be the switch telling the car i've got my foot on the brake as the brake lights come on just fine.

I did some searching on here and read about a solenoid issue in the ignition barrel (even though it's not a barrel anymore, not sure what to call it... ignition hole.... ignition slot....) but it doesn't seem to be that either as all of those people had problem with it not releasing the key, and mine does that just fine.

If I leave it to cool down in the evening it then starts absolutely fine. As it started to cool yesterday it cranked for about half a second every time I tried to start it and then stopped. Not like a mechanical forced stop but more like a computer told it to stop cranking. after doing that a few times it started just fine.

Having never let me down for the last 100k miles I've had it I'm starting to get really fed up with it now and considering selling it on. Any ideas on what could be wrong would be greatly appreciated as I was hoping to see if I can get it to 200k before I sell it!