Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchToGerman View Post
    Did this get sorted out in the end?
    Not yet, but this won't be a quick fix, it's an annoying judder only at idle which I can live with so I'll not be changing any parts just to see if it fixes it by pot luck. I've put another 4000 miles on it since I started this thread and the judder hasn't got any worse so until it gets worse and subsequently easier to diagnose and pinpoint I won't do anything. I'm putting 2000 miles a month or more on it so if it's going to get worse it should show itself soon.

The thing is, I'm not convinced its the flywheel, and I've read of this being a characteristic of these engines so I'm half expecting it not to get worse and for it just to stay the way it is but time will tell. Would a wearing flywheel judder exactly the same for 7 / 8000 miles without getting worse? Also, I don't know how long it had been juddering for the previous owner, could be doing this judder for the last 50k miles for all I know.

Is your car doing a similar thing?

0 0 0

2. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I agree with you now about the flywheel as I’ve changed mine but the judder is still there (flywheel was knackered anyway though and rattling) I have the same issue yeah I’ve heard a lot about it on these engines but no real solution seems to be anywhere to be found so I was interested to know if you had managed to sort it. I kinda have the same opinion on it as you though it seems a waste throwing parts at it as it could just be what these engines do as it seems pretty common, I’ve heard all the stuff about timing/injectors/cracked head but never found a thread where someone’s actually fixed the issue. It would be nice to fix it but maybe more hassle than it’s worth trying to chase it.

0 0 0

3. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Little update - I've 115k miles on this car now and I have just replaced the flywheel and clutch kit as my flywheel started getting noisey. Upon removal I seen the DMF was goosed, nice bit of rocking in it. This has made no difference (as I had expected) to the judder I have at idle.

The idle judder is in my opinion best described as a misfire. My car idles around 8/900 rpm, If I raise the engine revs to 13/1400 rpm the judder goes away and can't be felt. Also, with the bonnet open, I can see the engine clearly shake when ideling.

I have had the timing belt done again since I started this topic back in the May/June 2018, not because it was due, but because the genuine VW timing tensioner failed, it separated into 2 parts and let the belt go slack but luckily the engine didn't suffer any internal damage. This happened at 113k milkes. Also, luckily the tensioner stud didn't fail/break which I have since found out is a common problem on these BKD engines. Apparently the studs can break and should be replaced when doing the timing belt, however the threads can come out with the stud and then a helicoil is needed. This happened my stud when the belt was being fitted after the tensioner failed and a helicoil was inserted.

I think the misfire has gotten worse since the timing belt was done the 2nd time (ie: after the tensioner failed). I could live with the judder before and have done as it didn't bother me too much, (wasn't that bad and only at idle), however I notice it more now and don't remember the engine actually shaking as much either.

Is there anything I can check to see if something else is causing this, injector values or such to check? I have VCDS to check.
    I will check the torsion value again (haven't checked since the belt was redone) and post the result / value.

The car still drives perfectly otherwise, no misfire felt when driving at speed, etc...

Could a worn camshaft cause this, or would that cause a misfire at all times and not just at idle?

0 0 0

4. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The tensioner stud 03G 109 459 still does not come in the genuine kit 03G 198 119 B and for some odd reason has doubled in price recently but we always fit a new one and yes often the thread pulls and we install a Time Sert. Check the Torsion value and take an average of the injector delivery values over a few minutes and post them, a log if you prefer. I have yet to see a 16v PD cam suffer from wear but it isn’t difficult to check and whilst in there you could get the compressions tested but it does require a special glow plug adapter AND it is strongly recommended not to re-use glow plugs once removed.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Crasher.

Just checked with VCDS there now, made a couple video's, I'll se if i can manage to post them.
    The torsion value is reading -3.4KW when ideling. It goes to -3.9KW when I rev it up to 1500rpm ish.

Idle Stabilisation (Injection Quantity Deviation)
    -0.45 mg/str -0.19 mg/str 0.24 mg/str 0.35 mg/str

-0.42 mg/str -0.14 mg/str 0.26 mg/str 0.33 mg/str

Fuel Consumption = 0.60 l/h

Injector Switch Time Deviation
    -13.0 -30.0 -37.0 -36.0

-17.0 -25.0 -33.0 -32.0

0 0 0

6. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If one of my chaps had done the belt and had that torsion value, I would be getting him to check his work.

Those injector balances look fine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    I don't know if the correct locking pin tools were used for the belt change. If they were used would they pretty much guarantee a better torsion value closer to 0.0 or could you still end up with my 3.4 value even using the proper locking tools?

0 0 0

8. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If you got that value with the pin and plate fitted and they went back in perfectly after a couple of rotations, something else would be horribly wrong.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Ok, so I need to get the timing checked with the proper timing tools, bring it all to TDC and see if the locking tools can be easily fitted. What exactly is the "Torsion" value referring to or measuring, so I can explain to the mechanic.

0 0 0

10. Re: My Golf BKD Idle Judder / Misfire Issue 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is the synchronisation error between the crank and the cam sensors as measured by the ECU. You take off the front pulley and slip in the appropriate locking at TDC on #1 and then BOTH the pins should slide though into the holes in the head with no fiddling...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast