Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf R Estate - winter wheels or all season tyres?

1. Question Golf R Estate - winter wheels or all season tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just agreed to buy a 7-2017 Golf R Estate. On previous cars I had full winter tyres, but they like to charge per tyre for changing them and replacing the valves. On the Volvo XC60 I am just selling, I put Michelin Cross Climates on the front when the original tyres wore out, and it made an enormous beneficial difference.
    My wife's Polo has steel wheels with winter tyres on, that are swapped for the alloys over the winter period, but the dealer service department reckon you cannot do that for the Golf R.

Obviously this new car is 4x4, so whatever I do next winter, it would get all 4 the same.

Do forum members have any experience of winter tyres or wheels on a Golf R Estate (or car)?

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf R Estate - winter wheels or all season tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I'd get proper winters for the R. It's a fairly potent beast and all seasons are always a compromise, granted you won't have a lot of days with snow or +30 degrees in the UK but even so I'd not go for them if you drive over 10k miles a year.

Of course you can fit different wheels to the R estate, steel wheels of the appropriate size will be quite rare and not cost much less than alloys. On the R you will need 17" wheels as a minimum as 16" won't clear front brake calipers but that is about it.

I would not mix tyre type (summer, all-season or winter) on any car, i.e. always have four summers, four all-season or four winters.
    Having winters (205 55 16 on A3 rims) on my GTD made a huge difference, lots more grip than the summers (which are wider - 225 40 18) in cold weather...

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf R Estate - winter wheels or all season tyres? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks @itavaltalainen.
    That's what I thought. The dealer said you couldn't even get steel wheels! Low profile in snow or ice concerns me - not an issue on previous less powerful cars.
    I've seen the scary videos about driving on ice and snow with mixed tyres winter and summer, but always read that cross climates were OK so long as you paired them on the same axle. Not that I'd consider anything but all 4 matched on a 4x4.

Thanks for the info about the calipers. I've read quite few articles about the benefits of using narrower deeper tyres on smaller wheels for winter, but nothing about what you can put on a Golf R.
    Last edited by Fellwalker; 06-05-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling

0 0 0