Hi all,

After my Jaguar S-Type had mass failure of everything in one go (would cost way more than the car's worth to keep it on the road) my mum decided that it was time she bought a new car and kindly gave me her 2005 Golf Plus in return for me giving her a car many years ago, Despite the massive power drop and lack of toys I'm actually enjoying quite a lot. It fits the kids and is comfortable to drive so it will stay as long as it lives

The pros:
  • It was free, what more could I want!
  • I know it's been well looked after and has a full service history, with all but the last few years being main dealer
  • Rust and corrosion free
  • Feels better to drive than some much newer cars I've driven

The cons:
  • EGR fault, I've opened the top hoping it would be a case of removing and rotating the gear, but it's the other (non removable) gear that has teeth missing, will get a new one in it soon.
  • Paintwork is patchy, it has been mainly sorted but could do with feathering in which I'll do at some point.

I'm hoping to get a new EGR and towbar within a month and then it should be good to go.

Anyway, I'm here as other than the MoT I'm usually the only person to work on my cars and I'm sure you all know that a forum is well worth joining in this situation.

Jim