Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi chaps,

I have a 06 c6 4.2 v8 avant sline, I've done a few bits already - new wheels, rear silencer delete (sounds like a NASCAR now!) etc.

thought I'd try the Ami retrofit - mmi is upgraded, ami is in, but it won't work properly and shows a weird error that's left me confused.

if anyone's got any ideas I'd be really appreciate it!

the error message is:

• with no device plugged in - 'the screen says your device may not be connected or operating properly'
    • with an iPhone 7 plugged in - the phone starts charging, but screen changes to say 'this device isn't not supported by the Audi music interface'

Here's what I've done so far:

• I upgraded my firmware from 1110 to 5570 using all three (OEM) cds.
    • Bought and fitted a used Audi ami unit 4e0035785d - this replaced the glovebox cd changer, fitting in the same space.
    • bought and tried a pair of genuine Audi music interface cables (one USB, and one FireWire). I tried the USB one via a non apple cable.
    • ive rebooted the system a few times.

No other problems with the firmware or Bluetooth etc - calls and radio etc everything else works ok as far as I can tell.

any guesses or suggestions would be really handy

Al.

0 0 0

2. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigal174 View Post
    Hi chaps,

I have a 06 c6 4.2 v8 avant sline, I've done a few bits already - new wheels, rear silencer delete (sounds like a NASCAR now!) etc.

thought I'd try the Ami retrofit - mmi is upgraded, ami is in, but it won't work properly and shows a weird error that's left me confused.

if anyone's got any ideas I'd be really appreciate it!

the error message is:

• with no device plugged in - 'the screen says your device may not be connected or operating properly'
    • with an iPhone 7 plugged in - the phone starts charging, but screen changes to say 'this device isn't not supported by the Audi music interface'

• Bought and fitted a used Audi ami unit 4e0035785d - this replaced the glovebox cd changer, fitting in the same space.
    • bought and tried a pair of genuine Audi music interface cables (one USB, and one FireWire). I tried the USB one via a non apple cable.

No other problems with the firmware or Bluetooth etc - calls and radio etc everything else works ok as far as I can tell.

any guesses or suggestions would be really handy

Al.
    My guess would be it's the cable. There always used to be a specific Apple cable for AMI for MMI 2G with the old 30-pin Apple connector. I'm guessing you'll need to get hold of one of these and use a 30-pin to lightning adaptor to convert it for use with your iPhone 7. I think Audi make a cable for AMI 3G / 3G+ with a lightning connector, but I doubt this will work on your 2G setup. If I'm remembering correctly, the 2G cable had a black collar.

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

3. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

Just had a look at the Audi cable I bought - which is
    4F0051510AM part number

On his ad, it now says not compatable with MMI 2g... which isnt helpful, as it didnt say that at the time I bought it. However, if I run the AMI without any cable plugged in - I still get your device may not be connected or operating properly'

I'll try an track down the right cable and try it... but I suspect I still have a problem?

Cheers

Al

0 0 0

4. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I note you updated the MMI as step 1 and installed the AMI as step 2.

There's a possibility that the firmware level of the AMI may not be sufficient. I thought that the 4E0035785D levels came with firmware 0830. It was subsequently updated to 0840 and 0850 [the final version].

I suggest you use VCDS or the 'Hidden Red Screens' to see if you have the 0850 firmware in your unit.

Julian

0 0 0

5. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just had a look at the Audi cable I bought - which is 4F0051510AM part number
    I think you need part 4F0 051 510 AC - which is the MMI 2G 8pin [Lightning] cable ...

Julian

0 0 0

6. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks Julian.

I'm convinced its not just the wrong cable... I'll have a search for how I access the hidden menu and report back... not quite sure how I update the AMI firmware when it replaced the cd unit though!

0 0 0

7. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    See the attached text file for accessing the 'hidden red menus' that can show you your MMI device details. See also an attached screenshot of my AMI which is at level [SW-Index] 0850.

I realise you've 'snookered yourself' by replacing the CD with the AMI but at least you can see whether or not your firmware is up-to-date.

Julian
    Attached Images
    Attached Files

0 0 0

8. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Brill!

Ok, I'm in the hidden menu, sw index 0830 sw date 24.07.07... clearly it's old but old enough to stop it working?

0 0 0

9. Re: Newbie c6 ami retrofit nearly worked... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The AMI hasn't "stopped working"; it just doesn't support your connector! But you have confirmed that you have an 'old' version of firmware in your AMI - 0830.

There are at least 6 versions of the AMI firmware [0170, 0700, 0810, 0830, 0840, 0850] and you have version 4. It's annoying, but Audi have never published what each version 'fixed' or added, function wise. Accordingly for most functionality and best connectivity it's a good idea to be at the latest [and last] version 0850, which is dated Feb 2008.

[There's at least 12 different versions of the cable too, which doesn't help. Audi themselves don't seem to clearly understand which cable does what! Your 'AM' suffix cable definitely won't work on any version of the firmware as it's not a 2G MMI cable].

Suggest you try a different cable first as your AMI firmware update is obviously going to be tricky ...

Julian

PS - will try and look up the cable part numbers later and enter them in this thread

0 0 0

10. Audi AMI cable connector part number findings ... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianHicks View Post
    There's at least 12 different versions of the cable too, which doesn't help. Audi themselves don't seem to clearly understand which cable does what! Your 'AM' suffix cable definitely won't work on any version of the firmware as it's not a 2G MMI cable].

Suggest you try a different cable first as your AMI firmware update is obviously going to be tricky ...

Julian

PS - will try and look up the cable part numbers later and enter them in this thread
    Spent a long time today trying to check the AMI connectors, which have the part number 4F0 051 510 ? , where ? is the suffix used.

Turns out there are at least 25 different suffix variations for the different versions of the cable. Audi have been using the same base part number for 2G and 3G versions as well so they've contibuted to a mess, as there seems to be no indication of which cable does what.

Some part numbers have been superceeded by later part numbers and some part numbers are for 'cable sets', which always seem to be for 2 different cables, one of which is for USB Type A attachments [memory sticks, for instance].

I've identified 7 set code suffixes - P, S, AE, AF, AH, AK, AM and 22 single cable variations - A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, K, L, M, N, Q, R, T, AA, AB, AC, AD, AG, AJ, AL

Most variations are for USB A female, Apple 30 pin and Lightning but weird and rare options I've found are:
    C/F/T - 3.5mm jack
    N/AA - 3 phono cables [red/white/yellow]
    B/G - USB B male
    L - 3.5mm jack and Lightning in one cable

Some of all these variations are 3G only and not for the A6/A8/Q7 etc. with 2G, but don't ask me which!! The only one I can confirm is the Q suffix USB A female cable which I use with my 2G AMI and a USB stick.

Julian

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast