Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,
    I'm hoping someone can help me.
    Recently I noticed that one of my rear discs at the back looked miscoloured and was slightly orange in colour on the rim. After a drive I felt the rear brake discs and the miscoloured one was very hot and the other was just warm. I jacked the car up and it appeared that the calliper was binding and the hand brake was not working at all on that side. So I replaced the calliper with a refurbished one from Eurocarparts and replaced the rear discs and pads.
    I have now noticed that when I jack the car up and spin the wheel it is doing the same on that side. The handbrake works now but it seems to be binding again. The same disc is hotter than the other side. The hand brake cable seemed a little stiff so I lubricated it and freed it up. The handbrake lever on the calliper is right back against the stop but still after a drive the discs is a lot hotter than the other side.
    Anyone have an idea what this could be. Or is it just me being paranoid and it will fine. Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear brakes binding 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Do you have trapped fluid pressure in that caliper? if you crack open the nipple does the fluid spurt out a bit compared to the other side.

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear brakes binding 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Handbrake cable?

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear brakes binding 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Did you take the pads out and de-rust the carrier surfaces? The PQ35 (Golf 5 etc) platform is very prone to problems with the right rear caliper. ECP sell Pagid rear calipers and they tend to be quite good. Make sure the cable is not tight inside but if the lever returns to the stop and you have binding I would guess the pads are tight due to rust.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Rear brakes binding 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Make sure the pads move freely before installing the caliper, the rails get rusty and need cleaning with a file then a small amount of never seize on them.

0 0 0