Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all,
    My wife was driving her 2009 1.6TDI Golf the other day and at low speed she heard this screech and the car stopped. Natuarally she tried to start it again but no luck. It was recovered to the nearest garage who have had a quick look and confirmed the water pump had seized resulting in the timing belt jumping and there could be extensive damage to the engine. They are going to investigate further later this week but said prepare yourself for bad news as they will need to take the head off to see the extent of the damage.
    My questions are, would a seized water pump cause these symptons and possible damage?
    Shall I just cut my losses and sell the car for spares or repair or shall I let them take the head of and take it one step at a time?
    One thing I did notice is I had to top up the coolant a week or so ago as the warning light came on but it seemed fine until the catasrophic engine problem.

The car has recently been serviced, has done 98k and had the cambelt and water pump changed at the correct intetrval albeit by an independant.

Many thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    A seized pump would strip or snap your belt and do the damage described. The pump was probably leaking a bit ( you having to top up the coolant) and the bearing got contaminated by the water or vice versa where the worn bearing and vibration wrecked the pump seal, either way, eventually seizing.
    Depends how much damage there is inside - if a conrod has been bent and piston crown damaged then probably beyond economical repair, if the pistons and rods are ok and just bent valves then maybe a recon head will be enough, but lots of labour + parts, so still expensive. It's mad when a 9 year old car could be scrapped off for bits due to this.
    I almost had the same on a petrol polo where the pump seal leaked but not enough to be obvious or needing topping up, but the bearing was shot by the coolant as the leakage tell tale hole was crusted up and blocked, only thing that made me look at it before total failure was an odd rattle from the engine at tickover.

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    How old was the pump?

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    When was the cambelt last changed.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    When was the cambelt last changed.
    It was changed the same time as the water pump, 3.5 to 4 years ago. Wouldn't think it would have failed in that space of time.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Depends on the quality of the pump installed last time, plenty of rubbish ones knocking about, just googled and found one for £9.99! My polo pump had done about 70k on original pump before failing, saying that though my previous passat pd tdi had done over 100k on original pump with no leaks but a bit play in the bearing.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy-999 View Post
    How old was the pump?
    Around 3.5 - 4 years

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf 1.6TDI Seized water pump 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bad luck, there was no audible warning, just the slight coolant loss then.........££££££

0 0 0