Hi all,
My wife was driving her 2009 1.6TDI Golf the other day and at low speed she heard this screech and the car stopped. Natuarally she tried to start it again but no luck. It was recovered to the nearest garage who have had a quick look and confirmed the water pump had seized resulting in the timing belt jumping and there could be extensive damage to the engine. They are going to investigate further later this week but said prepare yourself for bad news as they will need to take the head off to see the extent of the damage.
My questions are, would a seized water pump cause these symptons and possible damage?
Shall I just cut my losses and sell the car for spares or repair or shall I let them take the head of and take it one step at a time?
One thing I did notice is I had to top up the coolant a week or so ago as the warning light came on but it seemed fine until the catasrophic engine problem.

The car has recently been serviced, has done 98k and had the cambelt and water pump changed at the correct intetrval albeit by an independant.

Many thanks in advance