Notices

User Tag List

Thread: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK

1. A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

Recently (about a week ago) I started getting random broken reverse light bulb warnings after startup in my B7 2.0 TDI Avant. Sometimes it shows the left bulb is broken, sometimes the right one. Most often the warning disappears after 3-4 seconds, but sometimes it stays until an igniton cycle. It doesn't happen on every start, it's completely random when it would come up. Today it came up again and I told my brother to check if the lights light up when I switch into reverse. As soon as I shifted to R, the warning disappeared from the display and both reverse lights came on. I searched around in Google and in the forums but couldn't find anyone with exact same symptoms as me. I was thinking reverse light switch first but I think that would just simply cause no reverse lights at all. I didn't touch anything regarding the tail lights, it started out of the blue.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks,
    Dan

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Change the bulbs anyway, check the wiring loom, and the connector blocks on the light units themselves.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdy-999 View Post
    Change the bulbs anyway, check the wiring loom, and the connector blocks on the light units themselves.
    2nd that.
    I had similar and turned out to be corroded 4th pin.
    search for my solved thread labelled A4 B7 Rear light cluster bad earth for the fix that worked for me
    Current: 2016 A4 Avant B9 2.0 tdi Ultra Sport 190 (DETA) 6-spd
    Previous: 2007 A4 Avant B7 2.0 tdi (BRE) 140 103kW

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah turns out it was similar for me. Took both units apart and pin 1 (brown) was very oxidized on both sides. Scraped it off and gave it some WD-40. It fixed it on the left side but it came back on the right side after a few days. I took the right side apart again today and this time I could clearly see burn marks on the pin. The issue seems to be with the connector, it is likely oxidized on the inside too, because the end of the wires have that white oxide stuff on them too. I gave it another whiff of WD-40 and put it together.

I'm gonna order 2 of these from eBay as a permanent solution: link.

Thanks for the input!

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Glad to be of help. My bodge is still working for me.
    Come back on here and let us know how easy it was to replace the connectors.
    Current: 2016 A4 Avant B9 2.0 tdi Ultra Sport 190 (DETA) 6-spd
    Previous: 2007 A4 Avant B7 2.0 tdi (BRE) 140 103kW

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will definitely do when it arrives

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The connectors have arrived today. They look fairly decent:

20180516_185946.jpg

I will install them as soon as this horrible weather is gone

They cost €11.49 with shipping.
    2005 Audi A4
    2.0 TDI BLB (converted to gear drive) 140 HP
    Multitronic

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had this on my B6, it turned out to be metal fatigue, there was a crack on the metal tab of the bulbholder which pushes against the side of the bulb.

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 B7 intermittent reverse light bulb warning on both sides, but bulbs are OK 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munroman77 View Post
    I had this on my B6, it turned out to be metal fatigue, there was a crack on the metal tab of the bulbholder which pushes against the side of the bulb.
    It was definitely because of oxidation on the connector pins for me. Since I cleaned them thoroughly at the time of my last comment, the problem has not returned yet. The connectors I bought from eBay are still sitting in my drawer. I haven't replaced them yet on the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" principle If I get the warning again I'll do it.
    2005 Audi A4
    2.0 TDI BLB (converted to gear drive) 140 HP
    Multitronic

0 0 0