Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Hi

for my e-tron I normally plug it in every evening and the internal timer manages the charging at reduced off-peak rate. If I charge at a charging station or daytime I used the Audi Phone app to "Charge Now" and all worked fine.

Today the Audi app is playing up (assume server issue) so I finally read the manual to understand the buttons on the car at the charging point. In summary the upper button sets the car to "charge by timer", the lower button sets the car to "Charge now" (Page 127 in the printer manual).
    My problem is that even with charger connected and green light on, pressing the lower button does not initiate charging, or turn the LED on in the button as is intended in the manual.

I suspect I have a faulty keypad.
    This explains why I always choose to use the app.

Any feedback before I give Audi a call?

Thanks
    Hugh
    Dublin

0 0 0

2. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    OK, to answer my own question, as it might be useful to someone, someday

It appears the printed manual is incorrect in it's description of the buttons on the Q7 at the charge point. In summary there are two buttons, one with a clock symbol (upper) and the other with a plug symbol (lower).

The indication in the documentation is that pressing the upper button (clock symbol) when plugged in implements the timed charging program as per the MMI user preferred charge time ( usually night rate) and the lower button is a "Charge Now" button.
    My experience was the lower button did not start the charge process. However I have discovered that if there any timer set in the MMI, the "charge now" button does not work. Deselect the timer in the MMI, and the buttons work as expected.

I feel this is an error, at a minimum in the documentation, but more likely in the firmware. I have a meeting scheduled with Audi service to review.

The reason this issue was crystallized was that the car refuses to connect to "Audi Connect" thus I can't manipulate charging from my phone as I routinely did before. Part two of my Audi meeting

Trust this might help someone!

Hugh
    Dublin

0 0 0

3. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Not much to add but I have never used any of those two buttons. The charging starts immediately as I plug in. Which is not according to the manual. I have never tried timed charging as there is no point in it where I live.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    2018 Q7 e-tron S-Line / Business / Tour / adaptive air suspension / towbar / Bose / Daytona metallic / Thule roof rack, roof box

0 0 0

4. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eiw View Post
    Not much to add but I have never used any of those two buttons. The charging starts immediately as I plug in. Which is not according to the manual. I have never tried timed charging as there is no point in it where I live.
    Hi EIW
    Ok, it's starts charging immediately because there are no timers set in the MMI. At least that is the behavior I observe, but agree it's definitely not as per the manual. I have night rate (50% price) electricity at home, so it's worth doing on the timer. And for now, on-street charging in Dublin is FREE, if you find a vacant charge point.

Separately, I notice you have the hitch on the e-tron. Is that factory fit or retrospective, did you use the Audi towing module for lights, or a generic relay based system?

I have fitted the Westfalia detachable hitch, and threaded in the cable for lights, but not connected the (basic generic) relay based lights system.

Rgds
    Hugh

0 0 0

5. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    My hitch is factory fit so I wouldn't know anything about that, except that is works well. Was concerned about how the retractable hitch would behave with ice and snow during winter but no problems fortunately.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    2018 Q7 e-tron S-Line / Business / Tour / adaptive air suspension / towbar / Bose / Daytona metallic / Thule roof rack, roof box

0 1 0

6. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Hugh,

I'm not sure if you're still on this forum but if you are I am intending to buy a Q7 e-tron and I was wondering how you found it for reliability and charging etc?

Best Rgds J 😊

Rathmines Dublin

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPlus View Post
    Hi EIW
    Ok, it's starts charging immediately because there are no timers set in the MMI. At least that is the behavior I observe, but agree it's definitely not as per the manual. I have night rate (50% price) electricity at home, so it's worth doing on the timer. And for now, on-street charging in Dublin is FREE, if you find a vacant charge point.

Separately, I notice you have the hitch on the e-tron. Is that factory fit or retrospective, did you use the Audi towing module for lights, or a generic relay based system?

I have fitted the Westfalia detachable hitch, and threaded in the cable for lights, but not connected the (basic generic) relay based lights system.

Rgds
    Hugh

0 0 0

7. Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jondoyle View Post
    Hi Hugh,

I'm not sure if you're still on this forum but if you are I am intending to buy a Q7 e-tron and I was wondering how you found it for reliability and charging etc?

Best Rgds J 😊

Rathmines Dublin
    Yep, I am around. Busy right now, will answer later this evening & PM you.

0 1 0

8. Thumbs up Re: Q7 e-tron Charging Query/ Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Many thanks,

Best regards

J.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPlus View Post
    Yep, I am around. Busy right now, will answer later this evening & PM you.

0 0 0