Hi all,

Just wanted to post here that after months of diagnosis, misdiagnosis and speculative part changing, I think I have finally found the root cause of my P0087 problems. (Well I should credit the Audi garage in Oldham that steered me right).

The picture below is of the fuel metering valve (part number 0928400708 AKA Fuel Pressure Regulator) located on the high pressure pump (injection pump). As you can see, the seal on it is broken slightly, this was enough to cause P0087 faults, which manifested in the way of the following:

• engine cut outs at various points especially when dropping to low revs (from higher revs),
  • shuddering/engine cut out if engine stays at idle for a few minutes
  • car going into limp mode,
  • glow light flashing,
  • engine management light remaining on.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 21.02.45.jpg

I could not get the part from Audi as they do not sell it separately (you have to buy the whole injection pump which is nearly £1000) so I got the equivalent from Europarts. It is not listed on their website but the product code at Eurocarparts is 443440150 and the part number is slightly different (0928400748, instead of 0928400708). I think you can get it cheaper elsewhere so, if it this is your problem and you need a replacement search the web for the part number.

It has been fitted for a about 5 days now and no sign of any of the old P0087 problems.

Hope this helps somebody.