1. Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Audi picked up on my last service that both rear shocks were weeping and offered to replace them for me for a mere £397, which I graciously declined. Yes, some Audi drivers really do have pocket that deep.

So after looking on line for replacement shocks, I've have a choice ranging in price from £21 each to £121 each, bear in mind I'll be doing both.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    The car is an A4 Avant S-Line Black Edition B8K on a 62 plate. My rear caliper type is 1KW if that helps.

The ride is quite hard as it is with 255 35 19" tyres and I'm keen on keeping my own teeth a while longer so I don't want to go to hard.
    The OEM part numbers that I've found are as follows to mention a few. But what does the final letter code mean?
    AUDI 8K0 513 035 K,
    AUDI 8T0 513 035 Q,
    AUDI 8K0 513 035 AJ,
    AUDI 8T0 513 035 L,

I'm presently considering
    Bilstein part number 19-171623. Any comments would be appreciated

I've already got a 14mm and 16mm through adapter for removing the top fixing / cover, I just need to order a 5.2mm Audi VW shock tool of eBay.

I have found the following torques on line and would also be grateful if someone could confirm or correct me on them.
    Top fixing to the spindle of the shock 25Nm
    Top fixing to the upper body fixing bolts as 45Nm
    Bottom of the shock to the lower suspension arm as 50Nm + 1/4 Turn

Thanks to you all in advance.

Jools

0 0 0

2. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    If I am judging your car correctly, none of the numbers you list are correct for your car, I think they are all 1BA standard suspension dampers. I would establish the exact part number of the rear damper fitted to your car and go for a Sachs, Boge or Monroe direct replacement, the originals were by Sachs or Monroe but Boge is Sachs anyway. If you start messing around with the damper ratings you can really screw up the rear ends behaviour. All the bolts are a one time only torque to yield design and must not be re-used. The letter at the end can mean nothing other than a change to a later number, that it is a upgraded part or that it is for a completely different car, you can’t take a part number for granted. There are 10 possible variations of rear damper for yours, all depending on the rear suspension PR code and I THINK this will be 1BE and so the VAG number would be 8T0 513 035 M and these were by Sachs and their replacement number is 313 366 or a Boge 30-H55-A, these are £110.04 retail inc VAT genuine and ECP retail them for £112.39....bargain!!! Other than getting under the car and reading off the part number, the most accurate way of knowing what it has is by FI suggestion using your cars VIN. If you PM me your VIN or reg I can tell you what it was built with.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Year , horse power , engine , engine code ?

0 1 0

4. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Did Audi explain why the rear shocks on a 5 year old car were weeping?
    My experience with modern shockers is that a light misting of oil will attract dust and they will look a bit scruffy, but will not be losing any significant
    quantity of oil and will be good for years, possibly with a wipe over before the test.
    Crasher expressed no surprise at the diagnosis, so I assume it is not uncommon, but I have never had to change an Audi shocker despite running quite high mileage
    B6 and B8 cars (the previous B8 S line went at 215k miles and showed no sign of weeping shocks). Is your car a high mileage vehicle? Does it feel firm still?
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

5. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The MLB series cars do seem to pound their rear dampers and there is a TPI about the “misting” on the damper body explains that it is actually beneficial to the lubrication of the piston rod seal but the level is subjective. Also the MLB gets through rear springs as well.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher for that helpful but disappointing information. My 2013 S line does sound rather more thumpy at the rear than did my 2008 S line. Presumably compromises have to be made to fit the desired suspension into a MLB chassis.
    At risk of causing thread drift, my 2010 B8 Quattro Avant has recently suffered a broken front spring which scunnered me, at such a relatively young age
    and with only about 168k miles and no unusual impact detected. Perhaps the quality of springs fitted is not what one would hope for?
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

7. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Springs are not what they were when e wer a yung un, the 1983 Golf 1 had three front springs, small engine, big engine and GTI, that was it and they were not made in China or from Chinese steel. They also only covered part of one page on ETKA (well a microfiche int them thur days), now a Golf 7 springs needs ten pages of applications and there are at least 60 different springs, I tried to count them all but started crying....

From your VIN I can see it is 1BE suspension, I will email you the cars full data

The factory dampers are as I guessed 8T0 513 035 M

The repair instructions parts list is (quantity per car)

2 x N102951 01, hex. nut, self-locking £1.01 + VAT
    2 x WHT002389, Washer £4.18 + VAT
    2 x N10500802, bolt, hex. hd. with shoulder, self-locking £3.90 + VAT
    4 x N91066101, bolt, hex. hd. (combi.) £2.78 + VAT

And I would strongly suggest bump stop 8K0512131K at £26.98 each as they are usually failing to pieces and worn ones invalidate the dampers warranty. You can get these from Febi dealers for less than £20 a pair.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sachs replacements T.P.S. £88.00 ea plus Vodka & Tonic
    Davmar

0 0 0

9. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Ohhhh, a fiver discount per unit then.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Time for new rear shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Handbags @ Dawn Tenners better in my pocket any day!!
    Davmar

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast