Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedhaggis View Post
    ok so I found a BTA unit 4F1 862 335 on ebay for £140 + £15 shipping so have ordered this. Presumably all I now need is to convert the blu connector using the 4E0 972 144 adaptor
    In theory:

a) You get the carpet up and remove the old ECU, which should have 4 connections - optical, blue electrical, yellow car's BT aerial, purple car's external aerial.
    b) Adapt the blue car connector to the replacement ECU's black connector [as discussed earlier in the thread] and plug the other 3 connections in. You can choose to not connect the car's existing BT aerial and use a self contained 'aerial on a stick' if you get one with the ECU.
    c) Restart the car and MMI [while you've got the carpet up ]

If you're 'good to go', the MMI should restart and the MMI 'hidden' red screens should show you the new phone unit where you can check the software level. Anything below 1120 in the 4F1 unit implies an update on CD2 of the 5570 3 CD set. I'm not aware of any specific VCDS requirements but the need to set or change the ECU 'Coding' field may depend on the settings already in the unit when it left the previous car. [The unit can be installed in A6, A8 or Q7 and has a setting to indicate which - no idea what for]!

If you get so far and it doesn't work, you know where I am!

Julian
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 01-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Perfect, well its not going to arrive until 12th July, then Ill have a play, I still need to do the update, but you gota give me an idea on cost so I can pre-plan it, by pre-plan I mean ask the wife if I can spend the dosh! I earns it, she manages it

0 0 0

3. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    If you need to visit to do MMI updates or VCDS checks/changes, it will be 'loose change'

BTW, see my updated post with the BTA 'red screen' shot ...

Julian

0 0 0

4. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I think I can do a little better than loose change (I never have any of that either)

0 0 0

5. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ok I unbolted the seat, pulled the carpet back and was able to see and access the black box that holds the BT unit. Looking at the main plug connector, the blue one, it has 3 banks of pins, and the port has 3 banks as well, but the BT unit I have purchased (the one with the black socket) has only 2 banks of pins?

The part code 4E0 972 144 looks like a direct replacement for the blue connector, which I dont see will help me.

I need something that will essentially convert the blue 3 rows into a black 2 rows connector, then move whatever pins I need to. The Blue plug physically will not fit into the black socket.

0 0 0

6. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spottedhaggis View Post
    ok I unbolted the seat, pulled the carpet back and was able to see and access the black box that holds the BT unit. Looking at the main plug connector, the blue one, it has 3 banks of pins, and the port has 3 banks as well, but the BT unit I have purchased (the one with the black socket) has only 2 banks of pins?

The part code 4E0 972 144 looks like a direct replacement for the blue connector, which I dont see will help me.

I need something that will essentially convert the blue 3 rows into a black 2 rows connector, then move whatever pins I need to. The Blue plug physically will not fit into the black socket.
    I'm confused

Isn't the blue connector on the car loom a 2 row female and the black connector on the phone a 3 row male? But note that the ECU only uses 2 rows; although the connector is big enough for 3 rows, early units had three rows of pins and later units had only 2.

But you use the 4E0 972 144 connector adapter by moving pins out of the blue connector into it anyway; you then plug the adapter into the black connector on the ECU.

Julian
    Last edited by JulianHicks; 01-07-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Rewritten to reflect that you need to move pins to the adapter ...

0 0 0

7. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    You could well be correct, but now I wont know until Saturday next week :-(

I also put a CD cleaner into the cd changer, has made no difference to the music, so assume the issue with the sound is the fibre itself.

0 0 0

8. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    ok well cd cleaner did nothing, and I also took the time to clean the fibre connectors with some alcohol, this also did nothing (I work in Fibre transmission for those who are about to say don't touch them) so I am now assuming the cd or the optical connectors are buggered, but its fine.

I removed the seat, carpet and again had a fresh better look at the BT box under the carpet, this time I took a picture.
    As I expected there is no way to move the blue to the black, width and pins are an issue, as you can see from this picture. Blue is currently in car and the black is the BT replacement I want to use

0 0 0

9. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    'SPottedhaggis', did you not see my 5 emails to you dated 29Jun and 01Jul?

Julian

Short answer to anyone else watching and not party to the emails; you need the adapter connector shown below. You have to dismantle the blue connector on the car loom, remove the pins and relocate them in the blue part of the adapter and then plug it in the black phone ecu socket.
    Attached Images

0 0 0

10. Re: BT Module ading 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    BTW, your 'new' ECU has lost its purple connector sleeve [as seen above the yellow one in the 'old' ECU] from the connection below the black socket . This is the connection to your 'sharks fin' aerial lead and losing it may have limited your ability to connect the 'new' ECU to the aerial.

Julian

Should look like this [but note that the picture has the BT 'aerial on a stick' connected to the yellow aerial connection - most sellers include this as it's part of the ECU when taken out of a car] ...
    Attached Images

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast